CoinPeople.com

I NEED HELP

Silver Atomic

26_04_07_1559.jpg26_04_07_15583.JPGHi people, just wanting to know about this coin that i found in North Africa that is in (Tripoli Libya)

The only thing that i know of about this coin is that it was from a Shipwreck off The Libayn Mediterranean Sea. CAROLUS. IIII. DEI. G. - 1802 HISPANIARUM. REX. I have saved this coin from being melted by the finders in libya thay did not know any thing about the coin's exept that it is silver and needs to be melted down into silver bars. so I asked them if thay would sell it to me, and thay did for dirt cheeep just $30 bucks.

this was 6years ago. I could not find anything about this coin pleas help me it could be very rare coin.

It's hard to say with certainty if it's authentic from those pictures, but it appears to be a Spanish 8 Reales piece, Minted in Madrid.

Calbeto lists a few overdates for this year: 1802/789(FA), 1802/796(FA), 1802/1 (MF), 1802 (FA). Without an overdate, it's still a scarce coin. Shipwreck pedigree should add to the value, but might be hard to prove.

Could you post close-ups of the date?

Here's one sold by UBS in 2003 : http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.ph...66&Lot=3154

Cheers,

~Roman

I was there at that time in a place called Sabratta in tripoli Libya, when thay pulled out a wooden box that was crushed. I will tack more close-ups of the date on the coin? I just need time to get me a good camera.

And it would be a big help if you know this coin is authentic just by looking at it.

I can't tell from the your images, sorry. Is that corrosion around the rim on both sides? If so - it might detract from overall grade. If you witnessed it coming out of the water - it has a much higher chance of being authentic. From your first pictures - it appears to have very little wear on the shield and if the portrait side is the same - you're looking at a very nice XF coin.

Krause lists this coin as $265 in VF and $400 in XF (KM#432.1)

I can't tell from the your images, sorry. Is that corrosion around the rim on both sides? If so - it might detract from overall grade. If you witnessed it coming out of the water - it has a much higher chance of being authentic. From your first pictures - it appears to have very little wear on the shield and if the portrait side is the same - you're looking at a very nice XF coin.

Krause lists this coin as $265 in VF and $400 in XF (KM#432.1)

Hi there I will get a new Pc Camera and tack good pictchers of this coin, and post it so that it can be clear to the Eye, Can you tell me pleas what do's this meen (it might detract from overall grade) i dont understand that part, and XF ??? I did clean it just where the head is and the shield. the sides of the coin where the head is is eaten up by the salt water, from frunt and from the back, but i will get the camera that has hi resalution to bring the coin to moor clearety.

Hi there I will get a new Pc Camera and tack good pictchers of this coin, and post it so that it can be clear to the Eye, Can you tell me pleas what do's this meen (it might detract from overall grade) i dont understand that part, and XF ??? I did clean it just where the head is and the shield. the sides of the coin where the head is is eaten up by the salt water, from frunt and from the back, but i will get the camera that has hi resalution to bring the coin to moor clearety.

Do you know anyone with a scanner - it might serve better than a camera. What I meant earlier was that if the coin has a lot of salt water damage (corrosion) it will have a lesser grade. VF stands for Very Vine condition, XF (or EF) for Extremely Fine.

Looking forward to seeing the scan of the coin, if you can get one, or a better picture.

~Roman

Do you know anyone with a scanner - it might serve better than a camera. What I meant earlier was that if the coin has a lot of salt water damage (corrosion) it will have a lesser grade. VF stands for Very Vine condition, XF (or EF) for Extremely Fine.

Looking forward to seeing the scan of the coin, if you can get one, or a better picture.

~Roman

( Two Kopeiki ) thank's for the hint, I do know some one with a scaner, Today i will be doing just that ill scan it and then post that wont be untell like 10 to 11 hours from now, My friend is working on call time thay need him at the Hospitail today. So ill see you then

I've received the images and nothing appears to be off - looks like an authentic salt water damaged, cleaned coin. Are the scratches on the portrait side from when you cleaned it?

I will post the images here once I edit them and sharpen them up a little.

If you want to do that, I would be happy to see them on this thread.

On the other hand, I sent you another coin to your gmail email account.

I can't recall whether I scratched it or It was already there whe they pulled it out from the sea. I acctually stopped cleaning it as soon as the features started to appear...

1802madrid.jpg

That's the best I could do as far as sharping the image up. Good news - it appears to be real. Bad news - it appears to be badly corroded around the edges from salt water, as well as contains abrasive cleaning marks.

I wouldn't be to grade it for you, sorry. It appears to have strong VF/EF details, but with all the problems - I'm unsure of the net grade. Anyone else has any ideas?

The second coin you e-mailed me is a British "Churchill Crown". Those are pretty common and inexpensive, unless in a very high grade (we're talking about MS 62+).

Cheers,

~Roman

1802madrid.jpg

That's the best I could do as far as sharping the image up. Good news - it appears to be real. Bad news - it appears to be badly corroded around the edges from salt water, as well as contains abrasive cleaning marks.

I wouldn't be to grade it for you, sorry. It appears to have strong VF/EF details, but with all the problems - I'm unsure of the net grade. Anyone else has any ideas?

The second coin you e-mailed me is a British "Churchill Crown". Those are pretty common and inexpensive, unless in a very high grade (we're talking about MS 62+).

Cheers,

~Roman

Hi Two Kopeiki I really appreciate what you did i do thank you for helping me out on this coin.

I wnated to tell you that a britsh guy six weeks ago saw the 1965 British "Churchill Crown that i have

And asked me if i would sell it to him i asked him how much are you going to pay me, he asked name a price and ill tell you, i said $120 he said thats good ill buy it, thats when i sayd im not selling it. so i keeped it with me. Two Kopwiki this is the only web site i can find it on there's two of them. http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.ph...69&Lot=1008

and the secund one is http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.ph...242&Lot=153

thes where from the same site you had posted for me about the CAROLUS. IIII. DEI. G. - 1802 HISPANIARUM. REX.

can you look into this pleas. what i do know is that the 1965 British coin is Silver and is 27.7g OR SOMETHING LIKE 28.10 GRAMS.

From the pictures you've e-mailed me, it appears that your Churchill is circulated business strike issue in Cupro-Nickel, not silver. There were over 9 million of those issued. The silver coin in the second link of your message is proof specimen issue and appears to be virtually flawless, which explains the price it sold for.

If you want, I will post the picture of the crown you've e-mailed me once I am home from work tonight, so that other board members can add their comments, as well.

From the pictures you've e-mailed me, it appears that your Churchill is circulated business strike issue in Cupro-Nickel, not silver. There were over 9 million of those issued. The silver coin in the second link of your message is proof specimen issue and appears to be virtually flawless, which explains the price it sold for.

If you want, I will post the picture of the crown you've e-mailed me once I am home from work tonight, so that other board members can add their comments, as well.

Thanks for posting the pic, Two Kopeiki today i went to a government minting for testing Metal's in Tripoli and thay confermed that the 1965 coin; was Silver metal and its waight was 28.10 28.15 GRAMS. thay allso said that if i wanted to clean it i would be reducing the value of the coin but i cleand it

anyway. I will send you the pic at your gmail, to look at it cleand and if you can tell if it is Silver or not. Pleas cheek it out, and give me your view on it.

Archived