CoinPeople.com

5 pence with no milling

leah_s

I wonder if anyone can help, or is indeed interested in this!

I spent the weekend sorting out a lot of old stuff in my loft, and found that in September 1991 I found a 'new' (as it was then) five pence coin which had no milling around the edge. I was around 11 at the time, and it appears I wrote to the Royal Mint about it! They sent a simple response saying that if i wanted it valued, to get in touch with a coin dealer.

I dont think i ever bothered - and now with the advent of the internet, i thought it was worth posting the question; is this coin of interest/value to anyone?

thanks!

leah_s, that is quite interesting. It can be possible that it is a genuine mint error. However it can be possible that someone nasty decided to wear off the edges using a sandpaper or such and tried to pass it off as an error coin. You'll never know though.

If it is possible to post pictures of the edge (which I can assume is quite difficult), please give it a try ;)

Welcome to coinpeople by the way :ninja:

Hi there,

See links below for a couple of photos which, as you say, aren't easy to take! it doesn't look (to the very untrained eye) like it has been sanded, but i guess its possible!

I couldnt get them to attach, sorry, but hope these help!

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_phot..._photo=96244087

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_phot..._photo=96244097

• 3 weeks later...
lHowever it can be possible that someone nasty decided to wear off the edges using a sandpaper or such and tried to pass it off as an error coin.

Or, it could've been altered to defraud vending machines. There is a rash of "error" Polish coins from 1989 & 1990 (10 zlotych, if I remember correctly), without the milling. It has been determined that these were machined down in order to be passed off as German 1DM coins in vending machines (and a very lucrative scam at that, judging by the quantities of these "plain edge" coins available).

Or, it could've been altered to defraud vending machines. There is a rash of "error" Polish coins from 1989 & 1990 (10 zlotych, if I remember correctly), without the milling. It has been determined that these were machined down in order to be passed off as German 1DM coins in vending machines (and a very lucrative scam at that, judging by the quantities of these "plain edge" coins available).

Yeah, I have a bunch of those too

Archived