CoinPeople.com

What do you think?

Xaxol

ive been offered 1000$ for it i dont know wether it is a fair price? maybe someone could tell me here

Only you can decide what you think is fair.

But, let's suppose that you could free the coin from the ashtray without damaging it further. It shows substantial wear, F (or VF at best) and has been heavily polished. Unless my sense of market values is outdated, $1,000 sounds like a generous offer for such a coin.

On the other hand, I know nothing about the market for antique silver ashtrays, so I can make no intelligent comment about that. Maybe Sotheby or Christie's might be able to offer some advice if you send them your photos as a potential consignor?

Only you can decide what you think is fair.

But, let's suppose that you could free the coin from the ashtray without damaging it further. It shows substantial wear, F (or VF at best) and has been heavily polished. Unless my sense of market values is outdated, $1,000 sounds like a generous offer for such a coin.

On the other hand, I know nothing about the market for antique silver ashtrays, so I can make no intelligent comment about that. Maybe Sotheby or Christie's might be able to offer some advice if you send them your photos as a potential consignor?

Sorry, but the price has nothing to do with the coin ! Actually , there is NO COIN there ! Or, let me put it this way, - there is no collectable coin there.

I'd date the piece by late XIX century based on the stamps on the back. I believe it should cost between $2,000 and $3,000. Again, this is my opinion.

As always, yours

Sorry, but the price has nothing to do with the coin ! Actually , there is NO COIN there ! Or, let me put it this way, - there is no collectable coin there.

Thats exactly what i think too, if I decide to sell it I would not want it to be broken in to pieces, cause its a one piece antique and is a part of Russian history. Thanks for the price opinion. Does anyone else has a suggested price? Maybe someone can make an offer?

Hi, what do you think about this ash tray?

2h6zvvq.jpg

350nz3o.jpg

2mp03mr.jpg

2w371i0.jpg

2i03hv6.jpg

Hi Xaxol, I a mwondering if you ca npsot the last picture where shows the mint mark on the bottom of the ash tray. If I can see the letters on it clearer, I may be able to tell what it is. Since I know some items fro mthe Fabrege are usually decorated by Russian coins with Catherien's portraits.

send me the picture again, I have some reference of Faberge at home so I may be able to tell more about this ash tray.

Sincerely,

Bang

Dear Xaxol,

I have looked up the list of Faberge's workmasters' initial marks, but no onw is M.C

But The number 84 and the figure head are look similar to some of the Faberge's masterpieces' marks. I am still puzzling to see whether the ash tray is the product of Faberge or not. If positive, it has high value and collectible.

Xaxol, I highly recommand you to email Dmitry Alexandrov. I am pretty sure that he would know something more than all of us here. His homepage is at http://www.romanovrussia.com/ and he deals with Russian antiques and coins.

Last time I saw a similar offering by him but it does not have a scarce coin like yours.

Note I checked his site and found these:

http://www.romanovrussia.com/FabANKnife.html

http://www.romanovrussia.com/MPbowl.html

The only difference is that it's clear that both of them are of Faberge. Perhaps it's a good thing that you just didn't sell it just yet!!! :ninja:;) ;)

Thanks for showing the pics - never thought I'll be able to see such high quality works.

I am quite sure that it is not Faberge, i know that it is early 1900 most likely before the revolution. And it is made by Drozjin. Who he is i dont know. :ninja:

Again, as I stated at the beginning of this branch, I strongly believe that the price should be about 2-3K top. For the fast sale , 1.5K will do it.

As always yours,

I've seen the small silver cups with an old silver ruble in the bottom, but never the ashtray. Quite a nifty piece there. My grandpa used to make ashtrays out of Mexican coins... have to see if I can find one at dad's place next time I'm there.

I have something similar but mine has a 1945 2 1/2 cent Nederlandsch Indie in it...not quite the same :ninja: That is very nice...I would love to have that...more than I could pay though.

Archived