CoinPeople.com

1889 8 Doubles Guernesey

1889%208%20Doubles%20Guernesey.JPG

This will be my first Guernsey coin. It was going cheap so I couldn't resist. I haven't received it yet but it does seem to have nice luster.

They are coins that can be found at cheap prices in nice condition, undervalued perhaps. Only time will tell.

This will be my first Guernsey coin. It was going cheap so I couldn't resist. I haven't received it yet but it does seem to have nice luster.

They are coins that can be found at cheap prices in nice condition, undervalued perhaps. Only time will tell.

Hussulo,

I am with you on this one, they are a very simple design that did not change for many years, which is why many people do not like them, but there is something fascinating about the simplicity of the design. As you say a set can be put together for a fairly reasonable price, and when you look at some of the mintages this is quite amazing!!! ;)

A site worth a visit on the subject is Guernsey Coins :ninja:

You know what I have always pondered in buying some of these but have normally gone from something else. Payday tomorrow so I may just purchase a few of these :ninja:

Although the design was the same for 100 years ;) There's something about that makes them quite interesting, there must be slight differences during their run. Also the odd currency unit of "Doubles" is interesting as well

Would this make them the longest running unaltered design ever used for a coin, especially in modern times?

• 3 weeks later...

Hussulo was it as good as it looked in that image?

I just purchased this one tonight, dating from 1959, images from the eBay sale itself, I'll post images once I get it as well:

4854_1.JPG

4911_1.JPG

• 3 months later...

Pic doesn't change anything - I still sold one of those in a lot a few days ago..

Take a look at this toned beauty!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...O:IT&ih=016

You may have to scroll down a bit to se the photo but the 1889 is the first at top left :ninja:

Pic doesn't change anything - I still sold one of those in a lot a few days ago..

Take a look at this toned beauty!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...O:IT&ih=016

You may have to scroll down a bit to se the photo but the 1889 is the first at top left ;)

Looks like quite a nice one.

You have a few nice coins for sale on eBay at the moment I see. :ninja:

One point though "Three slabbed world proofs: Samoa, Cape Verde & UAE" strictly speaking these coins aren't in "slabs" but rather cardboard holders. Slabs usually donate coins encapsulated in third party grading company holders. I.e. PCGS, NGC, ANCS etc..

Please don't think I'm having a go. Just trying to offer friendly advice.

Regards,

Hus