CoinPeople.com

Hi 'Guys' I need your opinion, on purchasing a coin.

Firefighter23

Hi I am pretty new to coins and I wound up base-ing my collection around colorized coins. Right now I have 10 state quarters, 1 - 9/11 silver eagle, 1 colored eagle, and one gold plated- colored eagle. I'm pretty much going for the colorized eagles! But any way I want to purchase one of the new holographic coins but i just cant decide which one looks the best? I'm hoping some of you out there can help me decide and why!! Here they are-->

goldholoflag6.jpg

They may look nice to you. But any time they are painted it pretty much freezes the value at spot price for the metal. Since you are just beginning I would suggest looking over some of the collections people have here and see if any of the types attracts you. To me a nicely struck original coin really can't be improved on.

917590.jpg

There is basically NO secondary market for painted or altered coinage. At least NOT among coin collectors. Quite honestly it is a hyped market full of false advertising but I don't want you to take my word on it. Try and sell a colored coin to a coin dealer for anything more than actual silver melt value, if the coin is indeed real silver, as a great number are replicas and silver or gold plated.

If you enjoy collecting such items I would never try to deter you from your interests as I am a firm believer in "to each his own" and if it makes you happy, then go for it. But if you are collecting for a future value, which all collectors tend to focus on, then you should turn your attention to real coins in as high a grade that you can comfortably afford to collect. Good luck with your endeavors regardless of what you decide as in the end you are the only one you have to please with your collecting habits.

So you know, there isn't much or any interest in colorized coins and such with nusmismatics. They generally don't have any nusmismatic value, but nothing wrong in collecting them. Want to give you a fair warning before you spend big money on them. But, it is your collection. I don't collect them, but they are pretty. If you are going to collect them, I personally like #1. Good luck on your collection, and be carefull! :ninja:

Phoenix ;)

Welcome to CP! Hope you stick around!

Anywho, get whichever coin strikes your fancy the most. That's all that matters. But if you do decide to one day part with it, keep collectability in mind. The others are correct about the limited market of the colors, etc.

I've come across coins I bought when I was just a wee newbie to the hobby. The first that comes to mind is an old, corroded, and downright ugly Indian Head cent from a common date (I think) that I bought at a touristy place for ~$15. I hit my head whenever I see it but then I remember that I bought it because I liked it and it fascinated me then. Perhaps if I didn't buy it, I wouldn't have the impetus to start collecting the way I do now!

l Guess there is not to much more to say about those decorated coins. No one really wants them. If you go to a coin show you would probably notice there are virtually none there. I go to about 3 coins shows a month and so far as far back as I can remember there has never been one there. As already noted, some look nice and may make a nice thing to put in plastic and make a pen holder out of it but for numismatic value..............

If you like colorized coins and your just collecting for your own enjoyment, great, buy whatever you like. The problem with colorized coins is people get upset when they can't even get their money back when they try to sell them. I have one. A New York state quarter that I bought for my own enjoyment.

I agree that there is generally no numismatic interest in the altered coins. There are some exceptions though: hobo nickels are collected. These are buffalo nickels in which the portrait has been latered to look like a hobo. I also saw a Peace dollar whose obverse was re-engraved to make it look like a Morgan. this was auctioned off for hundreds of dollars.

-- Peter Planchet

Archived