CoinPeople.com

Moldavia~Wallachia 3 Para 1772

Scottishmoney

Very nice! Other than the weak strike between 8-11 o'clock on the obverse side, this is an excellent specimen. The detail on the shields is extraordinary. Usually the detail in the center is very weak to non-existant. Thanks for sharing.

Hi All, interesting topic, I contribute with my specimen. Weight is 19.6 gram. I am a bit sorry for the lack of red mint luster.

Moldau_Wallachia_b_st.JPG

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi All, interesting topic, I contribute with my specimen. Weight is 19.6 gram. I am a bit sorry for the lack of red mint luster.

Forget the luster. This is a gorgeous piece. Both you and banivechi have the best specimens that I've seen for this denomination.

My last purchase for Moldavia series 1772 Para/3 Dengi VALAK Ilyn & Tolstoy-15 rubels

Wow!

VALAK!!! I have only one para 3 dengi 1772 in my collection (of more than 60 Sadaguras) with Valak. I tend to agree the theory that the coins with Valak instead Valosk are patterns: in the romanian reference book "Monede si Bancnote Romanesti" by O. Luchian, G. Buzdugan, C. Oprescu this variant isn't listed. In Uzdenikov it is, BUT: the immense majority of Sadagura coins are here in Romania, so how is it possible that a variant to be known to Russian authors and unknown to Romanians?

The answer can be only one: these coins were struck in Sankt Petersburg (= patterns), not in Sadagura mint.

An extra argument: mine specimen wasn't bought in Romania.

Wow!

VALAK!!! I have only one para 3 dengi 1772 in my collection (of more than 60 Sadaguras) with Valak. I tend to agree the theory that the coins with Valak instead Valosk are patterns: in the romanian reference book "Monede si Bancnote Romanesti" by O. Luchian, G. Buzdugan, C. Oprescu this variant isn't listed. In Uzdenikov it is, BUT: the immense majority of Sadagura coins are here in Romania, so how is it possible that a variant to be known to Russian authors and unknown to Romanians?

The answer can be only one: these coins were struck in Sankt Petersburg (= patterns), not in Sadagura mint.

An extra argument: mine specimen wasn't bought in Romania.

1.Coin is Very Rare and under estimate rarity in some catalogs,was listed in 1910 .I have no idea why coin was not listed "Monede si Bancnote Romanesti" by O. Luchian, G. Buzdugan, C. Oprescu,if possible please let me know were I can get those catalogs

2. The way how was struck and coroded metal for all coins "VALAK"and not possible find in better condition. Just confirming "VALAK" was struck from melt down Turkish cannon at Sagodura.

Regarding Para/3 Denga 1772-the best specimen I have see from:

From RENASSANCE Auctions LLC August 13-14 2000 lot.453 Unc. Sold for $1380.00

Ex.Brekke sale November 18 1993 lot.1486 sold for $750.00 J.Elmen wrote "The finest specimen we can imagine existing".Small Error in description coin from J.Elmen catalog of 1982 not 1983

Ex. World-Wide coins of California November 1982 Auction III lot1052 Sold for $225.00

I should do more searches from earliest sale, possible coin from one of the Russian famous collection.

Rarenum.

I have no idea why coin was not listed "Monede si Bancnote Romanesti" by O. Luchian, G. Buzdugan, C. Oprescu,if possible please let me know were I can get those catalogs

I can make a scan of the small chapter "Sadagura coinage" from the MBR book for you. The book is hard to find, it was printed in 1978 in 6,000 ex. Mostly on public librairies was delievered (the Romanian Numismatic Society had at that time under 300 members according to the list shown on Bulletin of RNS 1977 :ninja: )

I can make a scan of the small chapter "Sadagura coinage" from the MBR book for you. The book is hard to find, it was printed in 1978 in 6,000 ex. Mostly on public librairies was delievered (the Romanian Numismatic Society had at that time under 300 members according to the list shown on Bulletin of RNS 1977 :ninja: )
I will be appreciate for scans. ;)

Another good example of excelent Para is the lot #14844 sold at Heritage last year - that was NGS MS63 BN coin, you can look at the image of that nice coin in Heritage auction database.
Coin from Heritage lot#14844 in my collection :ninja:.and coin was graded by NGC ,not NGS!

• 5 months later...
Can you provide me the exact weight of yours Sadagura coins? I have almost done a study about these coins (target is 100 pieces). I need data for 8 or 9 more coins to finish it.

BTW: Superb coin, Dave! :ninja:

banivechi, I just remembered that you are doing a study on the weight of these coins. I recently purchased a 2 Para/ 3 Kopeiki which weighs in at 20.08 grams; diameter is 35mm.

Here are the links to some images of that coin:

Russia_2_Para_3_Kopeek_obv.jpg

Russia_2_Para_3_Kopeek_rev.jpg

Russia_2_Para_3_Kopeek_edge.jpg

Yours has tons more detail! And $75 US on eBay!? The prices are falling! :ninja:

A great find! I should pay more attention ;)

Well, mine was stripped of any natural patina it might have had ... maybe using vinegar or lemon juice and salt. And the letters are very weakly struck on mine. Over all, the coin is also very porous. Yours, on the other hand, has a much better strike, original patina, but perhaps a little more wear (still has nice detail, though).

As to the price, there was a companion 1 Para / 3 dengi piece offered by the same seller which was very nice VF+ or even EF condition; I was outbid at $225 on that one. ;) Would have been nice to win both of them together, although they weren't especially well matched (could have saved a little on postage)!

At Numismata Berlin past week-end I saw only one Sadagura coin - it was an 2 para- 3 kopeks 1773, very pale, at the price of 100 euro. I saw it and in the second day of the coin show, so I presume it remains unsold. Except what I saw at Busso or at Gorny&Mosch (which stand was literarily encountered by security guards), there were few russian coins. But there were many russian speaking people in the public...

I will try the edge, but I am not so good at taking pictures of edges. BTW, the edge is quite smooth. Another good example of excelent Para is the lot #14844 sold at Heritage last year - that was NGS MS63 BN coin, you can look at the image of that nice coin in Heritage auction database. To my mind the bigger coin - 2 para is much harder to find in a decent condition and almost impossible in mint state.

Coin from Heritage NGC MS63 link: http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=953932

• 2 months later...

I decided to sell some of my old coins on eBay. One of them is a 1773 2 para coin. I bought it way back in 2001, and haven't played with it in a while. When I was listing the coin and editing images I noticed something unusual. The spacing between И and ВАЛОСК is, in my opinion, unusually great.

Is this a known and frequent variety, or should I end my listing? :ninja:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320331723085

1773_2para.jpg

Archived