CoinPeople.com

A Simple but Attractive Coin

Drusus

This coin is rather simple but very quaint and attractive...it might have something to do with the very cute girl...but I like the real basic design as well...I just like it.

portuguesa.jpg

portup.jpg

You can see more like it hereMy early 20th Century Portuguese Coins

Portugal went through an era early in the Republic where they came out with very attractive coins and banknotes, which unfortunately lost a lot of their value right after WWI, but for that reason so many of them are preserved in nicer condition, not having an opportunity to circulate much before the metal value of the coin exceeded the commercial value.

port4centavos.jpg

Drusus ~ PM me and I will send you one of these, gratis, since I have a nicer 1917 from Ze.

I have to agree on this one. I have a few of these and find them very attractive. The lack of clutter really helps.

I have to agree on this one. I have a few of these and find them very attractive. The lack of clutter really helps.

Thats what I like..like I said in another forum (I posted this in several places)...I like the fact they didnt feel the need to fill up all the space with inscriptions...and I think the designer seemed to divide the coin Obv. for the pleasing portrait, reverse for inscriptions (but not a lot, just the basics). Not the only coin to do this but one of the nicer examples in my humble opinion...A pleasing, uncluttered look, almost confident that they dont have to slap every slogan they can think of on it...

Scottishmoney, thats a real kind offer, thanks a lot...

The series of coins from the 1910's era Portugal are all very very lovely. I am still looking for a blast white original 1915-1916 example of the Escudo, I saw a nice one yesterday at MSNS, but it had a scratch, and my coin has to be pretty near perfecto.

• 2 weeks later...

Many nations struck their version of Liberty, so to speak, and I have found quite a few classics, from all over the world, have a unique beauty to hold! The problem now is the huge world market for those beauties of the past. I guess what I am trying to say is the mere fact there are a great number of world classics I would love to own but have yet to get my hands on. If you think you have problems now just open any edition of the Standard Catalog of World Coins by Krause as the choices, history and beauty are endless! So many coins and so little time!

yeah...and if you want to really see how many coins you dont have...stack the 19th century standard catalog on top of that....and then the unusual world coin catalog...the the notgeld catalog....then the Sears catalog of ancient coins....>sign< :ninja:

I dind't resiste to give my contribution

The portuguese republic silver escudo of 1916. The 2nd date of the current issue (1915 and 1916).

(There is another one n/d (1914) comemorating the birth of the republic in 05OCT1910 in the same weight and fineness)

pt-130.jpg

The entrance of Portugal in WWI bring to an end the republican effort in preserve de monetary system inherited form the monarchy.

It whose portugal last silver current coin for 16 years (except for a silver comemorative in 1928).

The portuguese republic silver escudo of 1916. The 2nd date of the current issue (1915 and 1916).

(There is another one n/d (1914) comemorating the birth of the republic in 05OCT1910 in the same weight and fineness)

pt-130.jpg

The entrance of Portugal in WWI bring to an end the republican effort in preserve de monetary system inherited form the monarchy.

It whose portugal last silver current coin for 16 years (except for a silver comemorative in 1928).

Is that Ceres with a liberty cap?

pt-130.jpg

Nice bright white example, I am jealous, it is the one coin from that series that I am still searching for.

Hey Scottishmoney! Just how hard is it to locate a 1959 Denmark 5 Kroner? Looks like something that needs to be in my collection!

denmark5.jpg

denmark5r.jpg

denmarkdetail.jpg

A bit of a pain if you want a nice example, I like Danish notes but I sold my whole collection of them several years ago and regretted it. They are simple but attractive notes. These actually were made from ca. 1952 until about 1960. This is just one I needed again, the other being the 10 Kroner with Hans Christian Anderson on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived