CoinPeople.com

Stalin coin on mad prices

gxseries

All this hatred at Stalin (well deserved, I might add) what startles me is that oppressors of the same ilk adorn US coin and currency. Anyone who knows their history here knows that these men did quite a bit of double-dealing and outright murder right here in the good ol' US of A. I encourage you all to read up on Andrew Jackson(US $20 bill) he was one of the worst. In a nutshell, none of the folks we see on coins, past , present, and I'm sure future, have clean hands.

I'm not in any way defending Stalin, just pointing out similarities to other portraits on other coins and currency in my country. I hope I never live to see George W. on anything of any value, be it intrinsic or perceived.

All this hatred at Stalin (well deserved, I might add) what startles me is that oppressors of the same ilk adorn US coin and currency. Anyone who knows their history here knows that these men did quite a bit of double-dealing and outright murder right here in the good ol' US of A. I encourage you all to read up on Andrew Jackson(US $20 bill) he was one of the worst. In a nutshell, none of the folks we see on coins, past , present, and I'm sure future, have clean hands.

I'm not in any way defending Stalin, just pointing out similarities to other portraits on other coins and currency in my country. I hope I never live to see George W. on anything of any value, be it intrinsic or perceived.

I have seen these remarks about Andrew Jackson on numerous occasions. Those who have read and understand the original documents – not the modern revisionist material – think otherwise.

There is a well-known journalist, for example, who has made a career – and quite a bit of money – by trashing George Washington as a thief. The books are easily shown as nonsense by anyone who understands 18th century accounting and currency yet even the History Channel has showcased this sleazy journalist.

RWJ

it doesnt take much to set some of those hyperbole monsters off...You dont know much about US presidents and Stalin if you think any of them come even close to him...not that it matters...its a stretch to turn a thread about stalin coins into Bush is Evil and US is Evil rant...I think there is a opt in forum here for political rants...good thing this thread was already dead...:ninja:

Hehe, good explanation. :ninja: Just a side note - the one I "showed" is from 2005, and that one does indeed have a tiny Stalin plaque on the engine. The piece from 1995 (see link in the first post) shows him a little more prominently, but along with American and British WW2 leaders ...

Christian

This is as it should be. Whether we approve or disapprove of any historical figure, the fact is that Stalin (along with Hitler, Churchill and Roosevelt) was a major figure of a major power involved in WWII. To ignore Stalin's place in the WWII Soviet Union would be very ironic, similar to the Stalinist practice of airbrushing out of official photos those people who had fallen out of political favor.

The Czech coins, on the other hand, which celebrate Stalin's birthday, do not deal with events of immense historical significance (like WWII). Instead, they seem to me to be the most shameless, craven pandering and toadying. Even in the Soviet Union under Stalin, and the full force of the cult of personality, there were no such coins issued.

regardless, they are a part of world coin history thus in my realm of collecting...there is no coin I have come across yet that I would balk at collecting because of political reasons (I collect notgeld and some of the judica issues are..scary..but I will collect them)...My collecting is apolitical...:ninja: One major reason for coinage...I would say it is one of the top 2 reasons (first being a system of exchange and valuation) would be for propaganda...so it simply doesnt make sense to denounce any coin doing it...If one cannot divorce oneself from personal political agendas to appreciate a fine piece of propaganda...you are certainly limiting yourself to a very small amount of coins and bills...and I do mean VERY small. You cannot collect British coins (certainly they are guilty of all kinds of terrible things), most other nations for that matter, any coin with a face on it, any coins with a national phrase, country name, concept, etc...

IMO its best to separate your politics from collecting...they are all part of human history good or bad...and not saving and collecting them wont erase the events and people from history. Its all personal choice of course...

regardless, they are a part of world coin history thus in my realm of collecting...there is no coin I have come across yet that I would balk at collecting because of political reasons (I collect notgeld and some of the judica issues are..scary..but I will collect them)...My collecting is apolitical...:ninja: One major reason for coinage...I would say it is one of the top 2 reasons (first being a system of exchange and valuation) would be for propaganda...so it simply doesnt make sense to denounce any coin doing it...If one cannot divorce oneself from personal political agendas to appreciate a fine piece of propaganda...you are certainly limiting yourself to a very small amount of coins and bills...and I do mean VERY small. You cannot collect British coins (certainly they are guilty of all kinds of terrible things), most other nations for that matter, any coin with a face on it, any coins with a national phrase, country name, concept, etc...

IMO its best to separate your politics from collecting...they are all part of human history good or bad...and not saving and collecting them wont erase the events and people from history. Its all personal choice of course...

Drusus, I agree. The coins are historical artifacts and the product of their times. If we filter them, then we end up with the "Disney-fication" of history.

The "Pocahontas" film produced by Disney features wonderful animation and entertainment. However, it bears very little resemblance to the real story of the real Pocahontas. The problem with the film is that children can grow into adults who cannot tell the difference.

Archived