CoinPeople.com

Does anyone collect coins by the rolls?

gxseries

Never know what people collect so I thought of asking here. I was rather amazed with the prices of coin rolls here in Australia and in fact ticked off with what the dealers are asking at times. In fact, I can get older rolls at much better deals which makes zero sense.

If you have any original mint rolls, please post them here :ninja: I'll like to see if any have coin rolls from other countries too ;)

I don't bother to collect rolls. I have some mid 60s Lincolns BU rolls that I purchased not too long ago at face - too good to pass on.

I collected the 2004 amd 2005 Nickels by the roll because of the westard journey. I have one roll of each nickel from each mint. Another thing I collect by the rolls, or atleast I'm starting to, is the Presidential Dollar series.

I don't really collect rolls anymore, though I used to try to get unc rolls of cents each year. They just started getting harder to find and I didn't have the time to pursue it. So now I have a bunch of unc cent rolls from the 1980s-90s, an unc roll of quarters from 94 or 95, an unc 2000-P roll of sacs and a few rolls purchased opportunistically, like an unc roll of 1946 dimes and 1923 Peace dollars. Otherwise they just sit, collecting dust till I finally get the motivation to do something with them.

I have been collecting a few by the roll. Some to bust open and pick the best out of or look for errors, some I keep whole.

The US mint sells a lot of coins by the roll for collectors: Kennedy halves, presidential & Sacagaea dollars, State quarters, etc.

In my opinion ... I don't get it. I'd just assume have one nice example of each date and mint.

-- Peter Planchet

peterplanchet.com

The US mint sells a lot of coins by the roll for collectors: Kennedy halves, presidential & Sacagaea dollars, State quarters, etc.

In my opinion ... I don't get it. I'd just assume have one nice example of each date and mint.

-- Peter Planchet

peterplanchet.com

I dont understand buying rolls from the mint, when you can get the same exact roll from the bank at face vaule.

I dont understand buying rolls from the mint, when you can get the same exact roll from the bank at face vaule.

And save yourself the grief of having paid too much to the outrageous misfortune that unduly refers to itself as the US Mint.

Many years ago I thought that would be a great idea. So I started saving rolls of almost all coins back in the 80's. I ended up with thousands of dollars worth of the things so at coin shows I began asking if anyone wanted them and if so what kind of money are we talking about. My tons of Bicentennial Quarters were a joke. After over 30 years no one wanted them so to the bank with those. Then there is the nickels, dimes, cents and half dollars. No one wanted them either. The few that did would only pay face value since they had to make a profit selling them. I noticed at coin shows that rolls of common coins were just not a big seller. So to the bank with many more rolls of coins. I still have a few that I kept for some silly reason but if I had the same amount in a savings account all these years, I would have had some nice interest to addto my income and not just a pile of metal.

I always wqanted to put together a set of clad quarter rolls but

they are about impossible to obtain. I've never seen a roll of the

1969-P and there are several others that I've seen fewer than five

of in 35 years of looking.

I saved some but mostly I'd get rolls from the bank and check

them for gems and varieties. The only ones saved were those

that were really nice but had a low probability of having gems.

I have an original BU 1881-S roll of Morgans lying around in a bank vault somewhere. They have been a good investment I have noticed recently when I priced them. It is the only roll I have that is one date and mintmark in BU.

That roll will only continue to rise. I've seen a few threads about people buying original rolls and then sending them off to be graded. It just makes an original roll that much more rare.

I have a thing for nickels, I think I have like 15 rolls from the 50's-70's different dates, all Uncs. Recently though I purchased around 100 rolls of Lincoln cents from the mid 50's (like 12 rolls of unc wheats) up to about 2005 or so. I don't have many S rolls, but I do have basically every year from 56 I think up to current, and multiple rolls of each for the most part. I need to sell them though, I don't care for memorial cents, only problem is selling them all, and having someone pay like a $50 shipping bill, lol....I know if I paid that much I would lose any and all profits, and basically be paying for someone to take them lol. Oi. Oh well, until I figure out a better way, I guess they will just sit on my table in tube boxes, haha.

I just have an odd question for US roll collectors. I often see how people discuss about original Morgan rolls but were there any other rolls in other denomination from that era? Or coins from that era were shipped in mint bags? As well as, would anyone happen to know what country and what year did rolls start to occur? :ninja:

I am not sure when rolls started, but I think in the US anyway, just about every coin came in rolls. Earlier though, the mint might have shipped coins loose in bags and then they were rolled at the bank for distribution to customers. Today, there are paper rolls for cents, nickels, dimes, quarters, halves and dollars (large dollars are $20 per roll, small dollars are $25 per roll). I have even read about people buying rolls of double eagles from the banks, I think each roll had 20 coins, or $400 face.

As for finding good coins in those old rolls, I picked out a nice 1923 peace dollar from my roll and sent it to NGC and they graded it MS-65, which is worth more than half the amount I paid for the whole roll!

Archived