CoinPeople.com

7.5 rouble on ebay

Maya

Has anyone seen this current sale?

Over $1000 for an MS 63 :ninja:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

There is nothing unusual. The coin is quite rare in this condition. Only 6 coins graded by NGC as MS63 and only 3 coins have a higher grade 2 MS64 and 1 MS65. Considering the prices for russian coins on the market right now I do not think this coin is overpriced too much.

There is nothing unusual. The coin is quite rare in this condition. Only 6 coins graded by NGC as MS63 and only 3 coins have a higher grade 2 MS64 and 1 MS65. Considering the prices for russian coins on the market right now I do not think this coin is overpriced too much.

The price (as I type this) is US $1,040.15 with about an hour and a half to run before the auction closes.

That price is not an asking price, but one that has been set by the bidders (and will probably go higher still when the snipers finish with it).

Obviously, the bidders are buying the plastic holder and not the coin. The ebay photo gives me a very good idea of what the slab looks like, but is virtually useless in terms of evaluating the coin it contains.

Has anyone seen this current sale?

Over $1000 for an MS 63 :ninja:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

Cheburgen is right ... I have been buying and studying Russian gold coins of Nicholas II for about 2 or 3 years now. The two 7-1/2 roubles I own, one in VF and the other XF (my grading) were bought some time in 2005 for well under $200 each. Today, my own bank is selling similar grade coins for about $500 each. And I never saw ANY 7-1/2 rouble coins in higher grade than AU, at least not until now.

In spite of the slab, I have some problems with this auction. First of all, since I take photos of all my coins, I think it is fairly easy to get nice pictures of nice coins with an inexpensive camera, even in slabs. The auction shows only one side of the coin, at an angle, and lousy quality WRT detail. This is definitely an auction aimed at people who buy the slab, and not the coin. I feel that it should be the other way around!

If this auction amount were somewhere between $300 and $400, I might bid on it hoping to get it for less than $500. But $1,000? Forget it! ;)

In spite of the slab, I have some problems with this auction. First of all, since I take photos of all my coins, I think it is fairly easy to get nice pictures of nice coins with an inexpensive camera, even in slabs. The auction shows only one side of the coin, at an angle, and lousy quality WRT detail. This is definitely an auction aimed at people who buy the slab, and not the coin.

The seller has included pictures of the coin in another of his/her auctions.

LINK.

Why one sale, but not the other? :ninja:

I think it is fairly easy to get nice pictures of nice coins with an inexpensive camera, even in slabs. The auction shows only one side of the coin, at an angle, and lousy quality WRT detail.

I'm making a very good pictures of coins in slabs by scanning them. Unfortunately, the files are too big. Around 10 Mb for one side, but I'm doing it to creat a digital archive. To present a coin for sale, the big file can be reduced to 1 Mb picture and it will be a very decent picture to see the actual condition of the coin. As I understand, it's not possible to post the picture of this size on Ebay anyway, so if you want to see the real condition, ask the seller about good pictures even for coins in slabs, BUT I asked many times from sellers these pictures and in 99% I got the answer like this: " The coin is in the slab, the grade is known, so buy or ........".

The final price for this coin was $1342.00! That certainly takes me out of the running. There was a posting by Bobh on Oct. 31st 2006 about the relative rarity of 7.5 and 15 rouble coins to which WCO gave a very helpful summary of what one might expect to see on the market. Even with the increase of interest in Russian coins I find this price staggering. :ninja:

Maya

Just mad investors who think they can make quick buck ;) Unfortunately the Russian market isn't going to fall down any day soon. Maybe in 20-30 years time but rarities is rarities and 7.5 and 15 rubles remain in the key date coins to collect for a gold type set.

I'm still thankful that I got what I have right now - most of them will easily sell over three times of what I paid for. Could easily sell them now but never as it will take more than 3 times to replace them! :ninja:

I'm making a very good pictures of coins in slabs by scanning them. Unfortunately, the files are too big. Around 10 Mb for one side, but I'm doing it to creat a digital archive. To present a coin for sale, the big file can be reduced to 1 Mb picture and it will be a very decent picture to see the actual condition of the coin. As I understand, it's not possible to post the picture of this size on Ebay anyway, so if you want to see the real condition, ask the seller about good pictures even for coins in slabs, BUT I asked many times from sellers these pictures and in 99% I got the answer like this: " The coin is in the slab, the grade is known, so buy or ........".

Hi,

You can make file smaller like 200-300 kbt and keep great details and high res feelings :ninja:

(if you know the way of course)

Archived