CoinPeople.com

a pound of wheaties

Coinjoe2006

I was looking on ebay, and i came across a auction that I was thinking about buying. Its 1 pound of wheaties for $11.95 and $5.95 shipping. Is this a reasonable deal or not? I dont really care if it has been searched or not or even if I get a whole bunch i already have with only getting 10 new ones, because its getting harder and harder to find them in circulation anymore and thats how I get most of my coins! I just wanted to see what yall thought before I bought a pound or two?

Any local coin shows near by? Might be able to scoop some up with no shipping charges.

And I still insist the old coins are still out there. You may have to get more rolls than in the past, but trust me they are there. You read my post about the 18 wheat rolls, if that women didn't know me she would've cashed them in anyway. Somebody would had a nice find for face value.

Well thats the cheapest I have come across in recent searching on there...

You ain't lookin' too hard.... I just spend 30 seconds searching closed auctions on ebay and found:

2 lbs. for 3.50 plus 5.25 shipping

1 lb for 1.75 plus 3.75 shipping

1.5 lbs for 3.75, 5.25 shipping

2 lbs for 9.99, 5 shipping......

........ what you've posted is by far one of the worst prices I could find on ebay.

I also still pull alot directly from circulation. Probably a pound (~250)or more a year.... but I search alot of cent too.

Well thats the cheapest I have come across in recent searching on there...

You ain't lookin' too hard.... I just spend 30 seconds searching closed auctions on ebay and found:

2 lbs. for 3.50 plus 5.25 shipping

1 lb for 1.75 plus 3.75 shipping

1.5 lbs for 3.75, 5.25 shipping

2 lbs for 9.99, 5 shipping......

........ what you've posted is by far one of the worst prices I could find on ebay.

I also still pull alot directly from circulation. Probably a pound (~250)or more a year.... but I search alot of cent too.

I simply cannot find prices that low!! the cheapest I have found is 2 pounds for $6.99 plus $8 shipping...but I will look harder!

I simply cannot find prices that low!! the cheapest I have found is 2 pounds for $6.99 plus $8 shipping...but I will look harder!

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPROXIMATELY-2-LBS-CO...1QQcmdZViewItem

... plenty more out there,,, be patient.. don't chase them, and a great cent by the lb deal can be had rather easily on ebay. Lots of searching and patience is the key.

http://cgi.ebay.com/APPROXIMATELY-2-LBS-CO...1QQcmdZViewItem

... plenty more out there,,, be patient.. don't chase them, and a great cent by the lb deal can be had rather easily on ebay. Lots of searching and patience is the key.

Yeah, but look at the end time on that. All the stuff I have been looking at ends within 2 hours, so people have had time to bid on them and drive the price up! And I have been looking all day, since 4, so 4 hours of searching!!

Yeah, but look at the end time on that. All the stuff I have been looking at ends within 2 hours, so people have had time to bid on them and drive the price up! And I have been looking all day, since 4, so 4 hours of searching!!

This is an example of just one auction that has closed well below your ~$18 sample:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-lb-Pound-Wheatback-L...1QQcmdZViewItem

My general rule for searching for great deals on ebay is that you'll have to go through around 200+ of them to find what your looking for at a 'great' price. I presonally only do this for single pieces that cost way more than what a lb. of cents goes for.

I'd also advise you not to buy cents by the lb. at all on ebay, unless your just doing it for the fun,,,,, in which case 18 bucks is only about 3 beers different than 8 bucks to me so I'd buy either and save the pain of searching for the best deal.

Also, don't even remotely expect to find any rare coins in these lots,,, and don't buy any of the "...found 4 1909's in my lb of cents..." feedback that is often marketed by some sellers.... too easy to get a buddy of yours to buy an auction from you and have them post stupid feedback as a favor to dupe the masses.

Only buy the "by the pound", if you are looking to get into the wheaties in general, not if you are looking for any specific dates. Also, check what the seller is into as well. If they buy and sell coins, then don't expect anything more than common dates. I once bought 100 wheat cents from a person who specialized in orchids. While most were common dates, I did get some from the 30's in there, as well as an Indian Head!

yeah, thats all i would be looking for. I have several holes in my albums i would like to plug and thought if i bought a pound or two, that would give me an hour or two of fun and maybe 2 or 3 pennies that i didnt have before to add to my albums.

Archived