CoinPeople.com

US Silver Certs

Johnny 1989

Not sure if anybody can help me with these at all (although seeing as a large chunk of members on here are from the US you probably can)

Can anybody tell me what the mimimum prices are of a Silver Cert note ($1-£50), I'm just wondering as I haven't a clue what they're worth & the images I have seen here (of the larger version) have sparked some interest

Any help/guidance greatly appreciated :ninja:

large sized silvers, eh? here are just a few of the different types, and the retail prices that were attached to them:

f217fine3.jpg

1886 Martha Washington, F $425

f224fvf.jpg

1896 Educational, F-VF $550

f230fvf.jpg

1899 Black Eagle, F-VF $100

f237vf3.jpg

1923 Speelman-White, VF $48

and one of the more popular notes:

f280vg.jpg

1899 Chief Running Antelope/Onepapa, VG $425

Ah, I think I'll just get the 1923 series :ninja: They're the ones I'm after

Have to say I'm suprised the UK Ebay hardly has any US dollar notes (either normal, silver or gold certs) and alot of the US sellers don't sell outside of the US, oddly enough those that sell worldwide don't ship to Canada ;)

Johnny, I've got a duplicate of one of the small size STAR notes at home. It was mislabeled and apparently I look close enough :-x

Anywho, if you, or anyone for that matter, want to make a trade then I can ship it off next time I am home.

Well I got one from a UK seller (one I have bought several different notes off of in the past). Not an exciting one but a start at least, never realised the borders were so different.

This is virtually uncirculated apart from what looks like a bit of dirt near the bottom. I think it may have been cut from a sheet of them, as the right hand side is cut at a slight angle (not seen in the picture below), but looks & certainly feels genuine & other notes I have bought off of him are real:

905855A.jpg

905855B.jpg

It certainly doesn't look odd. It's an FR. 1615, likely issued in the 1950s, the same signature pair appears on the series 1957 silver certs.

I think your right except for the 1950's bit, it's a 1935F. I compared it to a 2003 note and the quality was the same.

BTW which small cert had the different reverse that had an alternative "one" design

american currency is weird...the years printed on our money have nothing to do with the year they're printed. series 1935 probably first debuted in 1935, but series 1935A, 1935B, 1935C, etc. came out in subsequent years. the famous red-letter experimental notes were series 1935A, and those experiments were carried out in 1942. by series 1935F, it probably was in the 1950's.

for your other question, you have two choices. series 1928, and series 1934. personally, i like the 1934 better purely from an aesthetic standpoint. in a 3-pocket currency album page, the blue "1" on the left matches the silver certificate $5 and $10 note designs. :ninja:

series 1928:

f1600chcu.jpg

f1600chcuback.jpg

series 1934:

f1606fachcu.jpg

f1606fachcuback.jpg

american currency is weird...the years printed on our money have nothing to do with the year they're printed. series 1935 probably first debuted in 1935, but series 1935A, 1935B, 1935C, etc. came out in subsequent years. the famous red-letter experimental notes were series 1935A, and those experiments were carried out in 1942. by series 1935F, it probably was in the 1950's.

for your other question, you have two choices. series 1928, and series 1934. personally, i like the 1934 better purely from an aesthetic standpoint. in a 3-pocket currency album page, the blue "1" on the left matches the silver certificate $5 and $10 note designs. ;)

series 1928:

f1600chcu.jpg

f1600chcuback.jpg

series 1934:

f1606fachcu.jpg

f1606fachcuback.jpg

Well I learnt something there, the 1935F is in actual fact from the 1950's ;)

Thanks for the pics, I'm going to keep an eye out for those :ninja:

Yes, the series years can be confusing, currently the latest series $1 notes are the series 2003A, and I think the new one with Hank Paulson's signature will be series 2006, even though they haven't printed any yet!

The large size notes were even worse, like the Series 1899 silver cert, they were issued all the way up until the series 1923 came out, and they had many different signature combinations yet they were all series 1899!

Archived