CoinPeople.com

1859 poltina

janneen

Hello everyone!

I have a 1859 poltina in my collection. I examined the coin more closely and I noticed it was the variety where horse rider (St. George?) was without mantle. Is this variety the common or the rare one? (my cataloque is in russian which I do not understand. This Conros cataloque mentions two varietes from which the other one is rare: With or without mantle?)

Is there a webpage where I find a picture of the rare variety?

Hello everyone!

I have a 1859 poltina in my collection. I examined the coin more closely and I noticed it was the variety where horse rider (St. George?) was without mantle. Is this variety the common or the rare one? (my cataloque is in russian which I do not understand. This Conros cataloque mentions two varietes from which the other one is rare: With or without mantle?)

According to RW Julian's reference work "Russian Silver Coinage 1796-1917", all poltinas of 1859 are of the variety St. George without cape. In 1860 and afterwards, most have St. George with cape, while just a few rare ones between 1873-1877 have the variety without cape. Mr. Julian lists only one variety for 1859 which would be Julian 818. This is not especially scarce, since there is no indication of rarity. 1860 without cape, however, would be scarce (Julian 819).

Hello everyone!

There is only one obverse variety for 1859, St. George without cape. There are minor reverse varieties, however.

RWJ

Ok. Thank you for your answers. Can You tell me what are exactly these 2 varietes Conros cataloque mentiones. The other one seems to be rare ($1000 in VF). "Kop. dol" or something?

Janne

The reverse crown is larger or smaller. The larger crown is found only on the 1859 issue while the smaller variety was used from 1859 on. By comparing the crown on your coin to one on a later date you should be able to determine which variety you have.

RWJ

The reverse crown is larger or smaller. The larger crown is found only on the 1859 issue while the smaller variety was used from 1859 on. By comparing the crown on your coin to one on a later date you should be able to determine which variety you have.

RWJ

Mine is exactly like this:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?act=At...ost&id=1922

Thank you for your anwer. I should learn some russian...

Janne

RWJ

For the 1859 poltina, Severin rates the small crown as common and the large crown as "very rare". Yusupov says "rare" and gives a value (quoting Giel & Ilyin, I think) of 30 roubles for the large crown variety.

Archived