CoinPeople.com

How Far Back Can We Go??

tommyd

No probs with dates for now. Here's a few more in the hope that some of you guys will be able to add your own.

1646 - Yellow copper jeton de presence issued for Jean Scarron, the then Mayor of Paris

958230.jpg

1645 - a silver 1/4 ecu Paris mint (point after date) and a 1645 1/12th ecu Paris mint (rose after date)

958231.jpg

958232.jpg

1644 - a silver jeton issued for gaston D'Orleans, the Uncle and regent for the young Louis XIV

916867.jpg

1643 - Silver jeton de presence issued for Nancy Town Council. Nice `city view' type.

948115.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1642 jeton (Conseil du Roi) -- Les Coeurs Fidèles. The three hearts represent the alliance between France, Holland and ... England?

Hi Frank,

I've seen mention of this `triple' alliance explanation for the three hearts. However to me that does not make much sense and I can't find any solid reference for that theory. I could be wrong though (often am!)

1642 would more likely have seen an alliance between Portugal, France and England against Spain. England and Netherlands were too much at each others throats over foreign colonies that year.

To my mind, it is much more likely that the three hearts on your jeton relate to the `Three Estates' (Administration, Law and Military). The design of `Les Coeurs Fideles' was also used by Louis XIV a few years later in relation to the `Fronde', that period of time relating to the civil wars. The design was calling upon the `fidelity' of the three estates towards the King. The one below circa 1648.

958276.jpg

Another possibility for the `three hearts' on the 1642 jeton was the deaths of both Marie de Medici (Louis XIII mother) and Richelieu in 1642. Perhaps a gesture on Louis XIII's part to reconcile (in her dealth) the exile of his mother due to her resistance to the power of Richelieu and the influence he had over her son?

Speaking of Richelieu, here's a neat 1642 jeton commemorating his internment in the chapel of the Sorbonne..... :ninja:

958275.jpg

1641 double tournois from the French Principality of Orange sporting Friedrich Henry , father of William of Orange followed by a 1641 double tournois from Boisebelle et Heindrichmont sporting HMaximillian De Bethune, Duc de Sully.

919008.jpg

958250.jpg

1640 silver jeton issued for the household of Anne of Austria, Queen of France, followed by the same jeton in yellow copper

930172.jpg

930174.jpg

Love the Anne of Austria 1640 jetons Ian, I assume the two large linked palms with a smaller one between symbolizes the King, Queen & Dauphin.

They are definitely `up there' in my favourites too. the design is however drawn from an earlier Marie de Medici jeton which I think I have somewhere in my collection (memory is such a fickle thing! :ninja: ) .

You are absolutely correct about the palms.. They do indeed represent the King (Louis XIII), Queen (Anne of Austria) and the `Dauphin' (2 year old Louis, later to be Louis XIV, aka `sun king'). Although the birth of Anne's second son was in September 1640 (Philippe D'Anjou, better known as Philippe Duc D'Orleans), these jetons had nothing to do with that particular event, having been designed the year before and issued in the early part of 1640.

Moving swiftly on, (there's someone somewhere keen to get a 1638 coin on view.......) :ninja: Here's a 1639 1/4 franc of Louis XIII. The date is barely there unfortunately but the bottom of the 3 and 9 are perceptible in the legend. As with many silver coins of the time, `shaving' was a common occurrence, and this coin seems to have been subject to that practise. The coin type is fairly difficult to come across in a collectable condition.

909241.jpg

Finally! :ninja:

Not one but two 1638 Netherlands Lion Daalders, one from Utrecht.....

1638UT-1200.jpg

and another from West Friesland.....

1638WF-1200.jpg

Great picture!

a few fench coppers:

1638 double tournois from Dombes featuring Gaston de Dombes

958378.jpg

1637 and 1636 double tournois from Avignon featuring Pope Urbanus VIII

958377.jpg

958376.jpg

1635 double tournois from Bouillon et Sedan featuring Maurice de la Tour

958375.jpg

:ninja:

Fleur de lis, hiho. I'm telling you. ;)

I absolutely believe you are right, yet I look at the blob and think, "turnip".

Maybe it's a sweet potato! ;)

a bit of a doggie this one, but the date is relevant . A 1634 double tournois from Lowenstein Werthein Rochefort (Cugnon mint Luxembourg).

920875.jpg

....followed closely with a silver Patagon dated 1633 from Brabant in the Spanish Netherlands

916579.jpg

• 2 weeks later...