How Far Back Can We Go??

tommyd

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a 1651 silver jeton issuedby Louis Gonzaga of Nevers and Henrietta of Cleves. They set up a fund for disadvantaged young females and each year a purse containing silver jetons (I am unsure as to the quantity) was awarded. It should be borne in mind that although jetons were not exactly `money', silver was (at least the basis of it). As such these jetons (roughly equivalent to 1/3 of an ecu) were readily translated into `goods or services'.

929497.jpg

This one is a small billon 1/2 batzen dated 1650 from Bavaria

912286.jpg

I'm out for the next few years unless I find some time to search through the coins i've still to scan.

It's been a few days since anyone has posted a coin to this thread, so here's my `two for the price of one' jeton, dated 1647 -1648 :ninja: . Issued in 1648 for M'sieu Lescot who had the job of acting as Receiver General for the Paris administration ( that part responsible for chasing after debtors large and small / liquidating their assets or sending them to gaol (without passing go or collecting 200 livres!).

953917.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm out until 1586 and 1580, then I'm out out. I have some ancients and byzantine coinage, but it's all undated. For that matter, what IS the first consecutively dated coinage...?

what IS the first consecutively dated coinage...?

Hi Vfox and everyone. I've wondered this myself. The oldest coins that I have found with consecutive dates are ancient Judaean coins. The Roman Prefects Caponius (6-9 AD) and Ambibulus (9-12 AD) had dates on their coins.

For example:

LM-Theta= 9 AD

LM=10 AD

LMA= 11 AD

Unfortunately the only example I have of one of these is hardly worth showing because it was struck so off center and worn that the date isn't even on the coin.

405a.jpg

James

Welcome to CoinPeople Jawandz. Thanks for the info, although I doubt we will consecutively make it back to 12CE, it's nice to see an example of something that old maintained dates at all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
New Year's Eve bump. I'm waiting for hiho to cave and buy a 1647. ;)

If a nice 1647 were to fall into my lap, fine.

Otherwise I'm waiting for you to cave in Marianne... :ninja:

Uh, oh, are we defeated??

NEVER!

Perhaps a decent 1647 will catch my eye at the New York International Numismatic Convention on Sunday.

You never know. :ninja:

OK guys, I finally managed to get some of my collection unpacked and found this one which hopefully will be of some interest to you. A reasonable condition for a silver schilling from Lucerne in Switzerland.....dated 1647!

Let the show go on! :ninja:

957924.jpg