CoinPeople.com

How Far Back Can We Go??

tommyd

That is truly an exceptional coin!

Thank you.

Same can be said for the Saint Genevieive silver jeton. That's a beauty Ian!

I just found out I won three Dutch Lion Daalders from Heritage, so I'll have not one but two coins for 1638, one from Utrecht, the another from West Friesland.

These came from the Dr. Patrick Tan Collection and I'm excited to get them. :ninja:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really have little idea of what this token is: But it's 1667!

948454.jpg

Hi ElleKitty -- It's Feuardent 3602, a jeton for Monseigneur Daniel Voysin, Maître des Requêtes, Prévost des Marchands 3 Elon --marking his third term as Prévôt. The arms on the other side are, like Ian's jeton, the arms of the City of Paris (a boat on the waves), with the motto TUTA ET SINE SORDE... working on how to translate that...

Thank you for the translation/identification! I received the coin with it notated as a Netherlands token, but even I figured out that wasn't correct. I wish the photo of it had turned out nicer. It is worn, but it looks a lot nicer in hand than it does in the above scan. :ninja:

And all these beautiful silver and gold coins are making me drool far too much. Gorgeous!

• 2 weeks later...
Bump -- 1665, anyone? (Wasn't there a plague in London that year?)

Yep, not my favourite bit of our history... :ninja:

No 1665 this end! ;)

Yep, not my favourite bit of our history... :ninja:

No 1665 this end! ;)

1665 was a bad year to be English.

No 1665, but I am ready with two 1638 Dutch Lion Dollars. ;)

Here's a 1665 jeton that's a wee bit corroded, but good enough for this purpose. It was issued to mark the election of M'sieu Voysin to his second term of office as Lord Mayor (Provost) of Paris.

952560.jpg

To help move it along, here's a 1664 jeton issued for the `Batiments du Roi' (the administration dealing with the Louis XIV's properties).

952561.jpg

Ian --I'm not familiar with that 1664 bâtiments du roi jeton --the design appears to be a formal French garden, but which? Versailles wasn't started yet ...

Hi Frank,

I believe that it is a plan view of L'Eglise Royale du Val-de-Grace, Paris. Originally built by Anne of Austria as thanks to god for the safe birth of her son, the future king Louis XIV. Exactly why it was chosen for the Bastimens du Roi in 1664 escapes me, other than it would be one of the `aedifices royale' under their jurisdiction and maintenance. there was however extensive building work conducted on it commencing 1664.

cheers,

Ian

(edit 5th october) Frank, i've looked at my CGB catalogues and the jeton is portrayed in `Jetons XIII'. Fortunately CGB still have a few of their catalogues available electronically. Here's a link to an example and another to commentary (no.33) indicating that the reverse is indeed a plan of Val de Grace.

http://www.numismatique.org/images/monnaie...13/j13_0033.jpg

http://www.cgb.fr/monnaies/jetons/j13/j130005.html

speeding along, here's a 1663 jeton and a couple of 1662 coins.

A `stock' jeton, but a pretty uncommon one. This is the only one of the type i've come across in silver.

917353.jpg

A 1662 Austrian 15 kreuzer

911610.jpg

An English 1662 Crown of Charles II (first bust)

912725.jpg

over to someone else for the next few years.

Yay, I'm useful for the first time in years!

Hey....wait....!

1660 I think from Poland...Groszy? I have no clue really...about the size of a dime.

1zlf43s.jpg

Hi ElleKitty -- It's Feuardent 3602, a jeton for Monseigneur Daniel Voysin, Maître des Requêtes, Prévost des Marchands 3 Elon --marking his third term as Prévôt. The arms on the other side are, like Ian's jeton, the arms of the City of Paris (a boat on the waves), with the motto TUTA ET SINE SORDE... working on how to translate that...

TUTA ET SINE SORDE literally means PROTECTION AND WITHOUT VILENESS or in plain english HONOURABLE PROTECTION

This is easily my favorite thread on the entire internet. :ninja:

And we are up to (down to?)...

1659. ;)

(Don't look at me, I'm out until 1638.)

Here's a 1659 1/24th thaler from Brandenburg

912299.jpg

...and a couple of silver jetons from 1658.

This one was minted for one of the lesser known accounting divisions of the Kings Treasury dealing with the army.

917359.jpg

This one was minted in 1658 for the Kings Counsel, but commemorates the taking of Montmedy in 1657.

917897.jpg

Whoops......sloppy link in my post. Updated with the correct 1658 link and 1654 will go back into the dugout.

For some reason by roadrunner hosting account has now decided to be unresponsive, so image is not yet appearing. I am just a mess today.

Hey...no sweat. I'm a mess every day. I'll look forward to seeing the 1658 thaler whenever your image host decides it wants to play ball :ninja:

Ian

I bought this 1657 Burgundy Estates jeton a few years ago but never quite got round to scanning it myself. These are the sellers photos of the time. I'm currently unpacking my collection having recently moved house. Once I get to this one i'll get better images together. In the interim this one will do :ninja:

953101.jpg

Moving quickly backwards, here's an interesting pair of jetons dated 1656. One is silver, the other copper, issued for `Le premier Corps des Marchands de Paris' or `the Drapers Guild of Paris', the leading merchant guild of that era. I need to scan these again once I get them unpacked as the images are really pretty duff........ even by my standards.

926614.jpg

911330.jpg

Finally, here's an interesting brass hybrid jeton dated 1655. The obverse die was used for the Taverners (inn Keepers) Guild. The reverse die depicts the french cockerel chasing the flemish lion with the city of Arras in the distance

926613.jpg