CoinPeople.com

How Far Back Can We Go??

tommyd

I will be strong. Really. Hiho, you are -- in the nicest possible way -- my nemesis. ;)

See if you just collected everything like me you wouldn't have this problem. :ninja:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:ninja:

A while back, I swore to myself that I wouldn't buy any more coins until I'd sold some. I've avoided temptation by staying away from active auction listings. But... a couple of days ago, I peeked. And the very coin you mention immediately caught my eye. It's the only item on my watch list.

I will be strong. Really. Hiho, you are -- in the nicest possible way -- my nemesis. ;)

Nemesis is such a misunderstood word.

If you want the 1622 Westy I will bow out without a wimper or a moan, but one day, when there is a coin that I REALLY want, you must do the same.

OK? And of course if you win the 1622 you have to post it here. No excuses. You have 60 years.

PS - The seller seems honest on all counts and when are you going to see one like this again? Sell me one of your coins and bid on this!

(Remember I won't be bidding against you...)(;))

See if you just collected everything like me you wouldn't have this problem. :ninja:

Good point! I do have some magpie in me, but the coins I want to sell are mostly dupes. My excuse for procrastinating has been my mediocre macro photography skills.

Nemesis is such a misunderstood word.

If you want the 1622 Westy I will bow out without a wimper or a moan, but one day, when there is a coin that I REALLY want, you must do the same.

OK? And of course if you win the 1622 you have to post it here. No excuses. You have 60 years.

PS - The seller seems honest on all counts and when are you going to see one like this again? Sell me one of your coins and bid on this!

(Remember I won't be bidding against you...)(:ninja:)

See? Nemesis.

That's a very kind offer, even if you're undermining my moral fiber. But I have an idea. I'll send you a pm.

Meanwhile... we're still waiting for a 1685. ;)

I really didn't want to post this one, since it's corroded and the date isn't clear. But if you look really hard, you can see it really is a 1685 : MDCLXXXV on the reverse. (And I know that this jeton is a 1685 from Feuardent's catalogue: 1685 Trésor Royal, F 1919.)

1685jetonLouisXIVsufficitnecdefi-1.jpg

1685jetonLouisXIVsufficitnecdeficit.jpg

SUFFICIT NEC DEFICIT: "it is sufficient and never runs out" -- the Royal Treasury is likened to an inexhaustable fountain. Perhaps this was only wishful thinking, since Louis XIV's wars kept emptying the coffers...

I like it. The range of coins, tokens, and jetons has been fantastic to see. 1684 may be another hard year. Two showed up on Omnicoin one owned by HKMAL and one by Sylvester. 1683 is a pretty nice year for omnicoin.

I like it too, nice jeton Frank.

If this thread has done anything it's made me look at jetons in an entirely new light.

Still ready with 1678...and looking forward to an interesting 1684.

OK. Time to put you guys out of your misery. Here's a 1684: a french silver jeton issued for the `ordinaire des guerres paparell tresor' (army treasury)

950799.jpg

Hah, is that a porcupine?

Here's a couple of 1683 jetons

The first was issued for the Brittany Estates (local government of Brittany region of France). It is actually a 1683 /1 but the scan doesn't pick it up very well

950869.jpg

The second is a 1683 copper jeton issued for the `batimens du Roi' (kings buildings)

950870.jpg

Ian, that second jeton is a real beauty. :ninja:

1682 anyone?

I like it but it's not one of my favourites. This one however is!

947351.jpg

A nice `city view' of Paris. A silver jeton dated 1682 and issued to mark the third term in office of the then Mayor of Paris.

I'll duck out now for the next few decades to give someone else a chance ;)

Ian

OK, I'll post another well-worn portrait of Louis XIV! Got to keep this going... I think Ian could probably do the 17th century all by himself, but he's trying to give everyone else a chance, and/or just doesn't want to be posting every day!

1680jetonLouisXIVpostbellatriump-1.jpg

1680jetonLouisXIVpostbellatriumphus.jpg

1680 jeton of Louis XIV -- "post bella triumphus" with Fame crowning someone in his war chariot, I don't know who; I haven't been able to find a catalogue description of this coin.

I'm chomping at the bit for a 1679 to show up so I can finally post my 1678. :ninja:

Oh, and Ian, that is one beautiful 1682 Paris city view silver jeton.

I'll be happy to take it off you hands should you ever tire of it...

I'm chomping at the bit for a 1679 to show up so I can finally post my 1678. :ninja:

Hate to see anyone chewing up their bit.

1679jetonLouisXIVtemplpacisobv.jpg1679jetonLouisXIVtemplpacisrev.jpg

1679 jeton of Louis XIV: TEMPL PACIS. The king receives the tribute of three allegorical figures bearing palms. Probably made in Nuremberg.

Hate to see anyone chewing up their bit.

Thanks Frank.

Here's my 1678, a Netherlands Silver Ship Shilling (say that three times fast) from West Friesland.

Well circulated with quite a bit of wear, but a difficult date.

1678-2.jpg

1678-1.jpg

If anyone has another 1679 I'll be happy to slide my contribution to keep things in chronological order.