CoinPeople.com

How Far Back Can We Go??

tommyd

Here is my 1692... :ninja: (sorry squirrel, no wigs, pretty nice crown though)

1692-2.jpg

1692-1.jpg

I'm out until 1678, at which time I will present a West Friesland ship shilling. Pretty worn, but the date is great! ;)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's another 1692, a jeton from Bourgogne, with a reference to how Louis XIV, the Sun, will help Burgundy --the bent-over stalks of wheat-- rise anew. Someone also scratched a good "M" into it...

1692jetonBourgognecurvataresurgetob.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc146/c...aresurgetre.jpg

I think we were posting at the same time. I think on this thread, we need to keep up the momentum when we get it. On to more 1692's if anyone has more ..

Brunswick Luneburg Celle 1/3rd taler

920767.jpg

Okay. I'm going to put my 1691 here, and if anyone still wants to post another 1692, hiho will go back and fix the order!~ :ninja:

1691HdemicuauxhuitLobv_edited-1.jpg

1691HdemicuauxhuitLrev_edited-1.jpg

1691 H (La Rochelle) demi-écu aux huit L of Louis XIV. Someone scratched poor Louis across the nose.

I'm pretty impressed that we had four great coins from different countries for 1692, that doesn't happen often.

Nice coins for 1691 and 1690 too.

Who will take us into the next decade with a 1689?

Won't be me, I'm out until 1678. But I'll be watching... :ninja:

I'm pretty impressed that we had four great coins from different countries for 1692, that doesn't happen often.

Nice coins for 1691 and 1690 too.

It is nice seeing it move along like this in the 1600's and the range.

OK, lets get going. Here's a 1689 silver rupee of Muhammad Aurangazeb Alamgir, minted at Akbarnagar in year 31 of his reign

921973.jpg

Lets continue this march backwards with a german state taler from cologne (koln) dated 1688. This is a 1 year type issued to commemorate the empty seat (sede vacante) after the death of Maximilian Heinrich of Bavaria who was the Archbishop of Cologne from 1650 to 1688.

This is one of the favorite coins in my collection.

3122002518_f051b2498f_m.jpg3121175573_e89b8c7598_m.jpg

The first year of Jahangir's reign was 1658 (he ruled for 48 years) so his 31st year would be 1658+30 = 1698. ;)

But who's complaining....

By the way, nice coin.

Duh. :ninja: oooops! I must have transposed the numerals at some point and never noticed my error (ie 1689 instead of 1698). ;)

in the interim here's a silver jeton of Monsieur de Fourcy, Lord mayor of Paris issued for his second term in office 1687

941849.jpg

Here's a 1687 1 gulden from Deventer, in the Netherlands. I'll hold off on my 1686 for a while.

917949.jpg

NICE! :ninja:

And I like the dogs on the reverse of that Monsieur de Fourcy Ian...

Duh. :ninja: oooops! I must have transposed the numerals at some point and never noticed my error (ie 1689 instead of 1698). ;)

in the interim here's a silver jeton of Monsieur de Fourcy, Lord mayor of Paris issued for his second term in office 1687

941849.jpg

The Dogs on either side of the coat of arms remind me of the Sables on (much later, 1764-81) Siberian copper.

Westfriesland daalder of 30 stuivers. Tilt your head 30 degrees to the left to view the reverse correctly. :ninja:

This is one of my favorite coins for its tactile qualities. It fits perfectly in my palm, is smooth, and has a nice weight.

916097.jpg

Nice one Marianne, I'm bidding on a gorgeous 1622 West Friesland Taler on eBay that I hope to add to this thread.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...I:IT&ih=016

Probably not the best person to tell though... ;)

:ninja:

A while back, I swore to myself that I wouldn't buy any more coins until I'd sold some. I've avoided temptation by staying away from active auction listings. But... a couple of days ago, I peeked. And the very coin you mention immediately caught my eye. It's the only item on my watch list.

I will be strong. Really. Hiho, you are -- in the nicest possible way -- my nemesis. ;)