• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1696jetonPartiesCasuellesobv.jpg

1696jetonPartiesCasuellesrev.jpg

1696 French jeton, Parties Casuelles. "Utile damnum" refers to the need sometimes to do harm for the good of all --as in trimming away the lower branches on a tree trunk. How exactly this refers to fiscal policy I'm not sure. :ninja:

Thus begins the transition from early Russian Milled coinage, back in time now to the famous "Men Wearing Wigs" period of world history"

:ninja:

What?? Don't tell me the did not date earlier coins. Man, your breaking my heart.

Thus begins the transition from early Russian Milled coinage, back in time now to the famous "Men Wearing Wigs" period of world history"

:ninja:

We actually passed that point some time ago.

I think a strong case can be made that Peter II's French-style tresses (see my avatar coin) were not his natural hair. ;)

Ditto for the Leopold (the Hogmouth) coins posted by worldcoinguy. That 1697 sixpence posted by ElleKitty is probably another.

Frank's 1696 jeton is for sure.

We actually passed that point some time ago.

I think a strong case can be made that Peter II's French-style tresses (see my avatar coin) were not his natural hair. :ninja:

Ditto for the Leopold (the Hogmouth) coins posted by worldcoinguy. That 1697 sixpence posted by ElleKitty is probably another.

Frank's 1696 jeton is for sure.

I agree completely. In fact, now that i think about it, Peter III's pony tail, and those Big hairdoos of Anna, Elizabeth, and Catherine II, must have all been falsies. Not sure on Catherine I. She seems a bit less vanity concerned than the others. ;)

The Russians were a bit late to the Baroque Party, but they sure did catch up fast ( due to Peter I's influence )

I agree completely. In fact, now that i think about it, Peter III's pony tail, and those Big hairdoos of Anna, Elizabeth, and Catherine II, must have all been falsies. Not sure on Catherine I. She seems a bit less vanity concerned than the others. ;)

The Russians were a bit late to the Baroque Party, but they sure did catch up fast ( due to Peter I's influence )

LOL. Once we get through the 1660's (going back), we might get to see a few jetons with Louis XIV's REAL hair, when he was a child, pre-wig. Ditto for Louis XIII before him, and then ... headlong into the hirsute Renaissance!! No wigs, just lots of hair! :ninja:

so whos got 1695 then? :ninja:

I just realized I have a 1692 Liard from the Spanish Netherlands to contribute. A nice one too.

Oh, and a 1678 Netherlands 6S Silver Ship Shilling from West Friesland. Marianne will like it. ;)

How could I have forgotten about these? ;)

Too many coins for an old geezer to remember them all? ;)

Oh, and a 1678 Netherlands 6S Silver Ship Shilling from West Friesland. Marianne will like it. :ninja:

That was an interesting year for West Friesland coinage, thanks to the wily Dirk Bosch. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Lovely avatar, btw. ;)

That was an interesting year for West Friesland coinage, thanks to the wily Dirk Bosch. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Lovely avatar, btw. ;)

The 1678 West Friesland 6S is a fairly scarce date, however I think I paid too much for it, believing it was VF or better.

NGC called it F12, and they are probably correct. So it's a bittersweet coin. I'll sell it one day, but until I need the money, it stays.

The photos turned out pretty good, you'll see... :ninja:

My new avatar was obviously inspired by yours Marianne, and is from a very nice French silver medal that I won on eBay from a lovely woman in Belgium.

Enough of my jibber jabber, who has the 1695?

;) Well, ive now thoroughly researched the matter in a most academic manner, and can conclude that indeed, coins were minted during the year 1695!

A search of fleabay reveals no less than 24 be-wigged, overfed, and inbread monarchs whos likeness was engraved in 1695, upon a disk of shiny silver!! ;) All available to the highest bidder!!! :ninja:

I shall therefore have patience, but i thinks its going to be a long century........ ;)

I know the first one was a mistake but I can't edit the post from here becaue I'm at a really stupid computer ;)

That's the trouble I've always had with computers. They insist on doing what I tell them to do and not what I want them to do. It's very frustrating. :ninja: