CoinPeople.com

How Far Back Can We Go??

tommyd

1715jetonBourgogneorbiluxalteraobv.jpg

1715jetonBourgogneorbiluxalterarev.jpg

Another jeton from Burgundy. 1715 of course is the year Louis XIV died an old man, and this jeton shows the moon "receiving its light from another", i.e., the regent ruling after the king's death.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just saw the stats on this thread and thought, wow, this must be the most popular on the site! 550 replies and OVER 147,000 views!

1714?

grivna1716 - that is another amazing coin. Tough to find anything like that in todays market I imagine.

Thank you. The coin has always been tough and hasn't gotten any easier in recent years.

Here is my last contribution for a few years to come. Its a 1715 sede vacante taler from the german city state of Osnabruck. Its a 1 year issue struck to commemorate the death of the bishop. I really fell in love with these sede vacante pieces.

1715-osnabruck-obv2.jpg1715-osnabruck-rev2.jpg

I understand and share your attraction to the coins of this period. The artwork is gorgeous, unlike the typically unimaginative and unattractive metallic trash in circulation today. The coins themselves are impressive examples of the diecutter's art and it is clear that they were designed and made with craftsmanship and pride. :ninja:

Very impressive, BKB! :ninja:

I'm ready with a 1710-WD kopek here. ;)

sorry I did not see this post earlier. I could post a few cute things starting 1849... But I still have 1686 and 1655 if required. By the way, now that I look at my 1712 ruble, and in view of recent information received, it looks like a 1712/1 overdate. Does it qualify for both 1712 and 1711? ;)

Correction: oops: now my is a duplicate posting. Need a verdict on 1711. If my coin does not qualify as 1711, I will take it off in order to avoid duplicate posting.

sorry I did not see this post earlier. I could post a few cute things starting 1849...

Same here. I usually never enter this forum because I thought it was US coins only and my interest is elsewhere. I intended to click on "World Coins" in the menu at the top left corner of the page, but accidentally clicked "Coins" (immediately above it) instead and then found this thread which needed something for 1726.

As for so-called duplicate posting, I think the chronology is what is important, not the number of examples. So if different people post multiple coins each for 1712, that just makes it more interesting to see coins from different countries in the same year. :ninja:

sorry I did not see this post earlier. I could post a few cute things starting 1849... But I still have 1686 and 1655 if required. By the way, now that I look at my 1712 ruble, and in view of recent information received, it looks like a 1712/1 overdate. Does it qualify for both 1712 and 1711? :ninja:

Correction: oops: now my is a duplicate posting. Need a verdict on 1711. If my coin does not qualify as 1711, I will take it off in order to avoid duplicate posting.

Actually, I think you posted yours before hiho did ... he posted a message that he was having problems with his imaging hosting site, then edited that message to include his ducat photos as soon as the problems had been resolved. That's why you didn't see his pictures when you added yours, or at least this is what I think.

As grivna1726 said, I think it's fine if we have different coins from the same year, as long as we can stay in sequence.

Then it may be a good idea to start this topic again after we finish with this one and post not less than 10 coins per year. Could be very interesting to compare coins of different countries. Could be very interesting, as well as, educational -- makes it possible to trace the design migration especially 16-17th century Europe to 18th century Russia. Moreover, it is always more interesting to see a date set, instead of just one coin from the set. (IMXO)

Hey Bob, that M is upside down on that 1710 Kopek. Id ask for my money back!!! :ninja:

Yes, and it's not in the best of condition, either ... rip-off for all of €40 if you ask me! ;)

But somehow, I've become accustomed to it. ;)

As for so-called duplicate posting, I think the chronology is what is important, not the number of examples. So if different people post multiple coins each for 1712, that just makes it more interesting to see coins from different countries in the same year. :ninja:

We have had duplicates for a few of the years, as long as you get it in on time, no worries I suppose.

And as you have seen, it's fairly simple to leave a place marker. (Please see bobh's entry above for precise instructions.)

As for ten coins per year, we have had dates that took a month for one coin to emerge. It's a good idea in theory, but...

Ready with a 1707. Who has the 1709?

1709jetongaleresobv.jpg

1709jetongaleresrev.jpg

1709 French jeton of the Galères with the hundred-headed dragon guarding the golden apple tree in the Garden of the Hesperides. Perhaps the dragon symbolized these galley ships, with their complement of prisoners, slaves and a few free men that Louis XIV didn't hesitate to use in his many wars. They were outlawed by the time of the French Revolution.