• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^^ Don't go giving me ideas... ;)

The ducat and quarter ducat are lovely.

You are up late Marianne. Put that file down and step away from the duit please... ;)

Now that you have seen my worst duit be prepared to see my best. One from Holland, one from West Friesland.

Ten 1739's to choose from, I found a small hoard in Sweden last year.

And I forgot, I do have a 1740 to show off. I may even photograph it because my scanner just doesn't do it justice.

The things I do for coins... :ninja:

Now that you have seen my worst duit be prepared to see my best. One from Holland, one from West Friesland.

Ten 1739's to choose from, I found a small hoard in Sweden last year.

What a coincidence - I've been looking for 1739 Westfriesland duits, and a seller in Sweden has offered a few gorgeous ones over the last couple of years. I was outbid. I wonder if they were from that same hoard.

Most of the copper used to make those duits came from Sweden, too.

I'm prepared to be jealous. :ninja:

I'm happy to stick with the Netherlands, as they're the country providing me with the right dates for this 'game' ^^

I've got 1733, 1732, & 1729 in front of me, although they're all dark coppers and not shiney gold. :ninja: I've got a Spanish 1721 piece that's silver..

I've really had a lot of fun with this thread. I hope we keep going for a long time to come!

What a coincidence - I've been looking for 1739 Westfriesland duits, and a seller in Sweden has offered a few gorgeous ones over the last couple of years. I was outbid. I wonder if they were from that same hoard.

Most of the copper used to make those duits came from Sweden, too.

I'm prepared to be jealous. ;)

I wasn't aware that the Dutch were using Swedish copper. I learned something new today.

Same hoard, same seller, a wonderful older gentleman named Ola. Sorry, I was probably the person who outbid you. :ninja:

I have three of his West Friesland duits, two came back from NGC as MS65RB, the third graded MS63RB.

I would part with that one if an interesting trade were offered.

I'll post photos of a 1739 Holland and a 1739 West Friesland duit tomorrow that look like they were minted yesterday.

In the meantime I took out my camera and here is my 1740, a quarter taler from Basel Switzerland.

1740Basel-1.jpg

I'm happy to stick with the Netherlands, as they're the country providing me with the right dates for this 'game' ^^

I've got 1733, 1732, & 1729 in front of me, although they're all dark coppers and not shiney gold. ;) I've got a Spanish 1721 piece that's silver..

I've really had a lot of fun with this thread. I hope we keep going for a long time to come!

You have to be old to own gold.

You are still much too young... :ninja:

All I have is 1739, 1724, 1717, and then all my dates get lost in translation until 1660, lol.

I'll show you my 1739 if you show me yours... :ninja:

Seriously, I only have three coins from the 1600's, and after my 1739's I only have a 1727, 1723, 1712 and 1707.

I'll show you my 1739 if you show me yours... ;)

Seriously, I only have three coins from the 1600's, and after my 1739's I only have a 1727, 1723, 1712 and 1707.

Hiho and I got this covered. Word. :ninja:

This coin is awful lol. ;)

2vbo8kl.jpg

I wasn't aware that the Dutch were using Swedish copper. I learned something new today.

Same hoard, same seller, a wonderful older gentleman named Ola. Sorry, I was probably the person who outbid you. ;)

I have three of his West Friesland duits, two came back from NGC as MS65RB, the third graded MS63RB.

I would part with that one if an interesting trade were offered.

I'll post photos of a 1739 Holland and a 1739 West Friesland duit tomorrow that look like they were minted yesterday.

In the meantime I took out my camera and here is my 1740, a quarter taler from Basel Switzerland.

You are going to be a terrible influence on me. That's a beauty.

Yes, the 1739 duits are made of both Swedish and Dutch copper, the latter from the Veluwe in Gelderland.

So... it's been you who has thwarted me at every turn! And Ola is the "retired civil servant" with an amazing collection. Now I have "It's a small world after all" stuck in my head, and I hope you feel terribly guilty about that. I can use that to my advantage. :ninja:

Yes Marianne, I am a terrible influence. Just ask my wife.

And no, guilt doesn't really work on me, despite being raised Catholic. Just ask my wife.

I have bought about 12 coins from Ola and none have disappointed.

I met him in 2006 at the International Show in NYC. Quite charming and his English was better than my Swedish.

When I post photos of the two 1739's later you will want one of my West Frieslands. Resistance is futile.

(Rest assured though that I now have enough 1739 mint state duits. I promise I won't impede your future bidding.)

Hiho and I got this covered. Word. ;)

This coin is awful lol. ;)

2vbo8kl.jpg

Merely semi-awful Vfox, I have owned worse. And in this thread it's the date that counts, nothing more.

PLEASE no one post a 1738 until I get home from work and scan my 1739's.

I'm not independently wealthy like the rest of you, I have to work 50 hours a week to afford my hobby...

Besides, I want to see Marianne turn green when she sees my West Friesland. :ninja:

(It's 10F outside!)

Two nice Netherlands duits dated 1739, one from West Friesland and another from Holland.

1739-3.jpg

And two more even nicer ones.

1739-4.jpg

That does it for me until 1727. But I'll be watching this thread... ;)

(Better photos of four Holland duits.)

MS62duit.jpg

MS64duit1.jpg

MS64duit2.jpg

MS66duit.jpg

(Still looking for better pics of the West Frieslands...)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

;) ;) ;)

Look at that jaunty taproot. How did these coins retain such pristine surfaces for 269 years? I am decidedly green. ;)

My scans are positively terrible, as time permits I'll replace them with better photos so you can really see how nice these are.

Please explain "jaunty taproot" to me. I'm not as smart as I seem... :ninja:

They must've been worth something back then to be used so little

I may be wrong but to the best of my knowledge duits were pretty much the equivalent of pennies and were used daily to buy food and other pedestrian needs. Which is why most are found circulated and well worn. Why these were put away immediately after they were minted is the mystery.

I think that someone at the Dutch mint helped themselves to a few dozen in the interest of quality control.

Sorry! Too many botanists in my family. The turnip is a taproot, and the one on the Westfriesland duit has a rakish look.

So that's what that is, a Dutch turnip. Always looked like the rear end of a mouse with a 1980's perm to me... :ninja:

I wonder who will produce a 1738?

While we wait for a '38 to appear I would like to continue with the botany theme.

Did you know that carrots come in both the common orange variety and also in white? In fact all carrots were white until the Dutch bred them to match their national color back in the 1600's.

I read this in the local free newspaper so it must be true, right?

Marianne, please tell us about your new avatar, the woman (man?) with the rooster helmet. Beautiful! Is it Swiss or French? Wanna trade it for a 1739 West Friesland duit? :ninja:

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/history.html

They have/had black, red and purple carrots too...

I'll just stick with my pointy, green hatted, orange friends!

While we wait for a '38 to appear I would like to continue with the botany theme.

Did you know that carrots come in both the common orange variety and also in white? In fact all carrots were white until the Dutch bred them to match their national color back in the 1600's.

I read this in the local free newspaper so it must be true, right?

Marianne, please tell us about your new avatar, the woman (man?) with the rooster helmet. Beautiful! Is it Swiss or French? Wanna trade it for a 1739 West Friesland duit? :ninja:

I don't think you can blame my family for orange carrots, but my forebears did take the string out of the stringbean.

My new avatar is a medal designed by Louis Bottée. It's not mine, but I might give in to a streak of megalomania and get me one. That's Marianne, the allegorical symbol of the French Republic. She tends to have extraordinary headgear. Here's a link to some others:

http://www.hobonickels.org/marianne.htm

I don't think you can blame my family for orange carrots, but my forebears did take the string out of the stringbean.

My new avatar is a medal designed by Louis Bottée. It's not mine, but I might give in to a streak of megalomania and get me one. That's Marianne, the allegorical symbol of the French Republic. She tends to have extraordinary headgear. Here's a link to some others:

http://www.hobonickels.org/marianne.htm

Fantastic link Marianne, and of course I know who Marianne is, as I am a major fan of the obverse of the 1899-1914 French 20F "rooster" gold coin.

Though the "extraordinary headgear" on the medals does take her to a new level.

Is this Marianne on my Swiss shooting medal?. Or merely her helmet?...

1904Zurcher.jpg

Unfortunately now that you have alerted me to these beautiful medals I may bid against you on eBay for them.

Proof that no good deed goes unpunished.

Oh, and thanks for the stringbeans. Boil them with a splash of olive oil in the water and they are delicious! :ninja: