CoinPeople.com

How Far Back Can We Go??

tommyd

I think mine is technically an XF (although it's hard to convince many of that since the strike is so poor). Your's looks to be an AU/BU?

ANACS assigned it a net grade of EF30, which I don't really agree with. It was net graded due to planchet corrosion (looks like black specks on the picture, actually tiny "digs" in the surface) The reason I sent it in, though, was to authenticate, not grade. It's already out of it's slab and resting in a 2x2 in my album :ninja: I was quite sure it was authentic, but since it appears to be a variety with a small star before "8R", instead of a large star listed in "Resplandores" - I wanted to be sure.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very cool overdates, guys :ninja:

Here's the 1823 piece I mentioned before:

1823-Mallorca-5P.jpg

Here's a bit of history for those that are unfamiliar with this mint:

Palma De mallorca is a capital of the Balearic Islands, and was reconquered from the Arabs by James I in 1229. James II was the first to coin gold and silver reales, as well as doubloons and denars of silver alloy, at this mint.

The Islands constituted a separate kingdom for somewhat more than a century. Then, under the reign of Peter IV of mallorca, the islands passed to the crown of Aragon. Subsequently, with the unification of Castille and Aragon upon the marriage of Fedinand and Isabella, the Islands were incorporated to the kingdom of Spain.

The Palma de mallorca Mint struck mainly small coins. It was not until the invasion of the mainland by Napoleon's troops that a large silver piece, the "30 sous", equivalent to the Eight Reales, was coined.

In 1821, due to an epidemic that kept Palma de mallorca isolated, it was necessary to coin again. This special currency bears an appropriate legend: SALUS POPULI.

In 1823 appears the last local coinage, reflecting the political changes of the time, since the five pesetas piece of this issue comes in two variants, one with and one without the inscription "Constitucion".

1812 3 Centimes, Westphalia

902151.jpg

3 Kreuzer, Austria

898779.jpg

3 Pfenning, Reuss-Greitz

898413.jpg

12 Skilling, Sweden

898083.jpg

10 Reales, Napoleonic Kingdom of Spain

897875.jpg

Something tells me we've entered the elverno zone... for the next 15 years or so! (I've been looking at your collection here and on Omnicoin; it's terrific.)

Thanks Frank. Of course I don't own much out of the zone and there are some wonderful coins others own that ought to get seen. So I'm trying to restrain myself! :ninja: