CoinPeople.com

Publications about Silver Coins

TreasureGirl

I'm starting to specialize in my favorite 20th century silver and silver bullion. What are some good books about Peace Dollars, Walking Halves, Standing Quarters, and Mercury Dimes? I'm looking for histories, counterfit info, some info on varieties/errors, and tips for the collector/investor (among other things that might not be coming to me at the moment). Price guides aren't really necessary, though.

And, do any of you reccomend any books about toning?

I was also wondering if you all thought these Whitman albums were a good mode of storage/display for the above silver collections: http://www.whitmanbooks.com/Default.aspx?P...ctID=0307091147 If not, what do you all suggest? I'd rather not put them into slabs to store in dark boxes (I like to admire), but if you think that's best, I'll be happy to take advice.

And, by the way, I punched a hole in my Whitman Roosie album yesterday trying to switch out a better quality dime. ;) Anyone else ever have this problem or am I just freakishly strong? :ninja:

Oops, and any book suggestions for building a type set, too?

Thanks!!!!

Though I don't own any specialized books yet (I'll get some at the Baltimore Show this Friday... see you there whoever is going!), I made a list based on two sources:

1) the CoinPeople Museum in the Coin Forum. Look at the lovely entry that StuJoe (or maybe one or two others) made for the series you are interested in. You'll see a few reference books and maybe a good site or two. Those reference books are what you are looking for.

2) The club websites of the series you are interested in. For instance, I am interested in a Barber Dime reference, so I checked out the Barber Coin Collectors Society website and they had a few books listed.

Hopefully that helps! Now, I've found that finding the books is that hard part!

I'm starting to specialize in my favorite 20th century silver and silver bullion. What are some good books about Peace Dollars, Walking Halves, Standing Quarters, and Mercury Dimes? I'm looking for histories, counterfit info, some info on varieties/errors, and tips for the collector/investor (among other things that might not be coming to me at the moment). Price guides aren't really necessary, though.

Check out the Whitman Publishing web site for books on just about any coins. However, thier prices are off the wall. Go there for the name of a book and then try the Walmart web site. About 1/3 cheaper. Example last year the Paperback Red Book, with spiral rings was $9.14 at Walmart and #14.95 at Whitman.

And, do any of you reccomend any books about toning?

Try the Toned Coins Collectors Society web site. There you will find our everything you want to know about toned coins.

I was also wondering if you all thought these Whitman albums were a good mode of storage/display for the above silver collections: http://www.whitmanbooks.com/Default.aspx?P...ctID=0307091147 If not, what do you all suggest? I'd rather not put them into slabs to store in dark boxes (I like to admire), but if you think that's best, I'll be happy to take advice.

I've been using the Whitman Classic Albums for many, many years and no problems. Dansco are OK but it all depends on where you live how available each one is. Stay away from Littleton. Do not use the folders of any kind, only the albums with plastic slides on both sides. Do not use folders where you press the coins into a slot.

And, by the way, I punched a hole in my Whitman Roosie album yesterday trying to switch out a better quality dime. ;) Anyone else ever have this problem or am I just freakishly strong? :ninja:

You must be refering to a folder, not an album. Folders are made with glue on a sheet of paper and a slotted piece of cardboard are placed on that. The back of the slots are full of glue. Not good for coins.

Oops, and any book suggestions for building a type set, too?

Don't have one but the entire world appears to love the one by Dansco.

Thanks!!!!

Yep, I meant a folder. Sorry! I just mostly use folders for easy-to-find-in-change coins, the rest I put in 2x2 squares and stick in a folder. But, if the glue really is that bad, and I keep punching holes in the paper, I might have to switch to something more resiliant (albeit more expensive).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Archived