CoinPeople.com

Roll Buying Schedules

TreasureGirl

Apparently you all have been having moderate success with buying rolls of various coins all over the world, so I was wondering, what kind of schedule do you keep when it comes to buying rolls? Like, one of each denomination per week or per month, or two rolls of cents per week but only one roll of nickels per week, and so on. This seems like an effective way to add to my modest collection and keep plenty of laundry and parking meter change on hand.

Thanks!

Kathryn

EDIT: BTW, what kind of errors/varieties should I particularly watch out for when searching through these rolls? I'm not really acquainted with variations and don't want to go into this looking only for coins to fill the holes in my albums.

If searching through cent rolls, you should really check out: Copper Coins

Easy to use variety search function.

I can normally go through a $25 box of cents each week. Haven't been able to keep that up due to school. One every other week normally works out well.

So, how many can you get at once? Here in East Jesus I was surprised to get $40 worth in halves from a single bank. Most of the time I get about 5 halves per bank I visit. Tedious, tedious.

Plus, I think there's someone else out there scanning every half he/she can get his/her hands on; one roll I got was entirely 1972's and another was entirely bicentennials. Not promising.

So, how many can you get at once?

Depends really. Here in Toledo they are kind of picky about it. Sometimes I can get $200 easily, other times only $20.

Now in Crestline (where I'm originally from) I can get $200 no problem. They don't even ask twice about it.

A lot of times it pays to call ahead and explain you are looking for a large amount and ask to speak with the vault teller. Arrange a time to come in an pick them up, many times they are happy to be rid of them as they just collect dust in the vault. Just coming into a bank unannounced, you'll probably just get whatever the tellers have on hand.

I think I'll start keeping extra change on hand specifically for replacing in rolls... just so I don't end up with $4.60 in dimes or 1.90 in nickels, etc. I just wish I could get the re-usable rolls from the bank, buying my own stinks.

Good ideas about calling ahead. I think I'm gonna go through hundreds of halves when I reach St. Louis for spring break. Set at least $50 just for half-browsing.

Around here I can get as many halves as I want. However, I no longer really want to many. After many, many years of searching halves I seldom find anything worth anything. For some reason error coins in halves are infrequent, halves in circulation are usually beat to death. Difficult to get rid of the ones you don't want. I go to banks and get several rolls of them every few weeks now and use them for tips at restaurants, admission to places, etc. just to get a reation from people that have never seen them. Most stores don't want them, no place in the cash register for them. Our public transportation doesn't like them becuse the conductors have no place to put them. Most vending machines won't take them. Most of the ones in circulation are left overs from the Las Vegas era of coin machines and show massive wear so collectors don't want them. Carrying a lot of them could help build up your body due to the weight of them. Might make for great paper weights some day. You spoke of parking meters and laundry. Odd, around here our parking meters will not take the half nor the stupid baby dollars. Most of the laundromats also do not take either of those. If I were you I'd switch to something easier to accumulate.

As to cents the person that refered to the cent web site ment coppercoins.com It's all one word.

Archived