CoinPeople.com

Should we specify the banknote forum into different fields?

dbang1988

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this site is primarily coin collectors with a few currency collectors thrown in for good measure. Maybe if we, the currency collectors, start to grow in numbers we can ask about sub-forums. But I don't think we really need that right now.

I've seen more activity in this forum in the last month or two than in the previous half year I've been here. But the activity level hasn't settled into a pattern that necessitates split forums.

In the case that the forums were split, I fear that there would be very little activity in the US forum compared to the world forum (assuming that is how they split) - quite the opposite of the coin forums, IMO.

If they do get split into sub-catagories may I suggest one for Queen Elizabeth II notes. As shown in the thread on these boards there are MANY variety of QEII notes and would work as it's own seperate sub-catagory in itself.

Failing that how about a museum of the different designs, I'm prepared to put up all of my Bank Of England Series A - Series E MkI images seeing as all have now been withdrawn from circulation, I won't do it tonight though I'll do it sometime this week if anyone's interested. I do have a bit of background info on them, well I can get some background info on them from the web/books :ninja:

besides the currency forum run by pcgs, coinpeople is the most active currency forum i've seen on the internet. given that 99.98% of all the posts on the pcgs forum is about u.s. currency, i think it's pretty safe to say that coinpeople's banknote forum is the most active english-speaking world currency forum. (and the best, in my opinion...since most other world forums are plagued with "i live in so-and-so, please send me your country's money and i'll send you mine" as the meat of their forum posts). i saw a huge german site once that was bustling with activity, but i couldn't understand anything. :ninja:

with that being said, we're still not active enough to warrant being subdivided. i think that would only ensure that a lot of banknote-related posts don't get read because of being buried too deeply.

There is still no need for such subforum. I mean, look at the subforums of the coin section. Other than the Russian coin forum which is doing exceptionally too well, average posts range from just 500-1800 ish. And this forum has only a total of 4000ish, which isn't well too much to divide into.

Also, a subforum just makes it easier to miss unless one is VERY specialized. There was a suggestion to merge Russian banknotes into the Russian coins section but so far there isn't much interest yet.

Archived