CoinPeople.com

face value vs. collector value

San_Miguel98

Grade, date and face value will likely determine the numbers saved and future demand.

Circulated 1000 (old) CHF notes are a good example of a note worth much less as a collectable then it would be if still redeemable. However, I have ignored the appreciation in value of the CHF in past decades.

Over the past several years I have probably turned in 200 DM in notes and about the same in coin. Most were well circulated stuff that IMO would never have much value.

Aside from an EF 1970 10 DM, I did not save any notes. The only coins I saved were some silver 5 and 10 DM, and several UNC 1990s 50pf and 1DM.

Most of the pre-euro higher denomination coins in circulated grades (ie. 10 FRF bimetallic) will likely trade at a fraction of their former value. Already I have seen Portugal 100 and 200 escudos at 1/4 value.

I know I must have some 10FF and 20FF coins, but they are only a curiousity now. At least the 100FF coins are silver so they retain that value. Must be coincidence, but I found some 10DM coins the other day in some stuff that I had in a box. I must have forgotten about them.

Neat but old fashioned. ;) I also like old City Taler pieces, for example, but I would not want them in my wallet these days.

(Edit) Talking about bridges, you will surely be delighted :ninja: to hear about those new Danish note designs.

http://www.nationalbanken.dk/DNUK/NotesAnd...33;OpenDocument

No more people but bridges, hehe. The new notes will be introduced in the next few years. The two semi-finalists, so to say, are Kaspar Bonnén and Karin Birgitte Lund; their designs (and the other submitted note designs) can be viewed at the bank's website.

Christian

Although I do like those designs & the Euro design I just can't see the UK using notes without a monarchs or Britannia's head on them

Although I do like those designs & the Euro design I just can't see the UK using notes without a monarchs or Britannia's head on them

Such customs or rules in monarchies apparently vary widely from country to country. And interestingly it is mostly the coins, not so much the notes, that have the effigy of the king, queen, etc. In the Netherlands, for example, Queen Beatrix was and is on almost every coin but was not depicted on the gulden notes.

Denmark is an interesting mix: The small coins (25 and 50 øre) just have a crown; the medium denominations (1, 2, 5 kroner) have the queen's monogram, and only the large ones (10, 20 kroner) have the queen's effigy. None of the notes features Queen Margrethe. So I guess it boils down to what one is used to ... :ninja:

Christian

Such customs or rules in monarchies apparently vary widely from country to country. And interestingly it is mostly the coins, not so much the notes, that have the effigy of the king, queen, etc. In the Netherlands, for example, Queen Beatrix was and is on almost every coin but was not depicted on the gulden notes.

Denmark is an interesting mix: The small coins (25 and 50 øre) just have a crown; the medium denominations (1, 2, 5 kroner) have the queen's monogram, and only the large ones (10, 20 kroner) have the queen's effigy. None of the notes features Queen Margrethe. So I guess it boils down to what one is used to ... :ninja:

Christian

Interesting. QEII was the first person to appear on BoE notes for many a year (I think it was William IV or George IV that was the last to appear previous) George V appeared on Treasury Notes but these weren't issued by BoE

George IV was probably the first monarch to appear on a British note, in 1822 the Leith Banking Company in Scotland issued the following:

leith1.jpg

This note commemorated his visit to Scotland that year, in fact this may be one of the first British commemorative banknotes also.

Archived