CoinPeople.com

1943 Steel Cent Planchet Webbing

LostDutchman

hey gang! A dealer friend brought these to me the other day and I was happy to buy them. We have some of the "leftovers" of the planchet making process of the 1943 steel cents. It's always hard to tell what these go to.. but the pieces stick to a magnet and i am about %98 sure they are for the steel cents making them pretty rare. Enjoy!

2ibzw5j.jpg

46zfp0i.jpg

4hli4qu.jpg

I can't think of a way to be %100 certain... I do know there were both purchased from Fred Weinberg several years ago... as for the number.. I would suspect that the sheets are all numbered...like most everything at the mint. I have seen a few of these and most of the larger ones do have a number similar to this one. I was just thinking that it might be neat to see a coin struck on the area that had the number....I bet it has happened

I've seen these before, but the photos never show them next to a cent, so they always look bigger (the holes that is).

Dumb question that I'm sure everyone knows the answer to but me:

Doesn't raising the rim of the planchet give it a smaller radius than the finished coin?

I do not know why they are numbered but encountered in the past that a block of metal was numbered as a batch and once partition or divided to be used both block of partition is also numbered from original block or batched.

Maybe that is the case of the numbered sheet in the mint or other facilities ordering metal from their distributor. .

I'm still a little skeptical about the whole thing and just because some web site shows them don't make it so. What happened to the litteraly billions of other coin planchets? Why only these are let go by the Mint? Where are the others? Just to strange for me. Billions an billions of coins of all sizes and materials and no other planchets????? How could this be proved? If I had them I'd contact the Mint to see how that happened?

Archived