CoinPeople.com

Is Paper Money an essentially male hobby ?

see323

my father-in-law tried to get my now wife to collect coins, in fact she has a collection of silver dimes still. But alas she was more interested in spending money on important things like clothes, purses, etc instead :ninja: But she is still my favourite collectible ;)

my father-in-law tried to get my now wife to collect coins, in fact she has a collection of silver dimes still. But alas she was more interested in spending money on important things like clothes, purses, etc instead :ninja: But she is still my favourite collectible ;)

Interesting collections that include coins, banknotes, wife, daughters and father-in-law. ;)

i have never ever seen a female coin/currency collector in person. that's one of the things i'm hoping to see one day. just like ghosts, flying saucers, unicorns, nessie, and bigfeet. :ninja:

I too have never seen a true female collector so far but I have dealt with one from UK- Pam West.

But I am sure I have not met a true female collector. Interestingly, there is this female collector / dealer from my country who sell banknotes in yahoo and ebay auction. She buy banknotes but immediately every banknotes purchased will be put up for sales in the online auctions. I don't think she collect any banknotes as a collectors. She is a true banknote dealer. ;)

Nah, no nerve touched.

I have been a collector for almost 8 years now. I started with coins and moved into currency. I didn't start collecting until I was in my early 30's (so, yes, if you do some math you may be able to figure out my approximate age). I have found that coin and currency collecting is predominately a male hobby and if I have my husband with me at shows or shops, most of the dealers tend to talk to him rather than me. I don't think it has anything to do with me being female or with the dealers being sexist. I just think it is because it is primarily a male dominated hobby they assume the guy is the collector. When they find out I am the collector and not my husband they shift gears and address me instead.

Most dealers do not expect a female customer but once they are aware that the customer is a female, they will still give the same respect, courtesy and professionalism engaging the female customer.

Once I was in my dealer friend shop. a female customer came in and brought out some old rare Straits Settlement banknotes to sell. She said that it belong to her late husband. She intend to sell them. At that moment, I thought this scenario may happen to my collection if I am no longer around in this world. Obviously, the female customer do not have knowledge about the pricing of these banknotes. Her late husband did not tell her about their values and other information about these rare banknotes.

Therefore it is important to write down what are values of these banknotes. At least we should record down the purchased date, cost price etc. Alternatively, you should inform your wife or husband about them and if there is a need to sell them away the collection, it will be better to list them in well-establised auction houses such as Spink or any local established auction houses. This ensures that the collections are sold at market values. :ninja:

;) Ooh, touched a nerve.

I've never know of a female collector of coins/banknotes before, normally it's old men, although I'm only 23!

I started serious collecting coins and banknotes at 22. It is true that in the early days, all the collectors are old men. I was one of the youngest around to collect the rare and expensive Straits banknotes. I will sit down with these old men and listen to their interesting stories. I enjoyed those early days of collecting. :ninja:

I guess I lucked out, my wife doesnt even carry a purse let alone spend money on them. I spend far more on coins than she does on....anything. She is so far from the stereotype of women put forth in this thread...to be honest, I dont know any women who fit the stereotypes. Not to say she gives a rats ass about coins. because she doesnt. :ninja:

Hey try to propaganda the Coin collection hobby at home and at work to everybody. That will make more people get involved, right? Such as put the coin posters, with some rare coin with expensive price on the posters. Thus will attract people who think collecting coin are wasting money. hahaha

Hey try to propaganda the Coin collection hobby at home and at work to everybody. That will make more people get involved, right? Such as put the coin posters, with some rare coin with expensive price on the posters. Thus will attract people who think collecting coin are wasting money. hahaha

Might also attract thefts by petty theives, and cause coin dealers to have to repetitively answer questions about the value of a circulated 1958 wheat penny, etc.

Care to enlighten us here ? :ninja:

Men and women are different. Period.

Why do women typically spend more money on shoes? Why are many more males obsessed with cars?

I believe that coin and note collecting is simply yet another example of something that men and women are for the most part, different from birth. Of course there are always exceptions.

Archived