CoinPeople.com

Clearing up all the new dollar errors

LostDutchman

it seems that the quality control at the mint is not quite as great as it should have been... This new edge lettering seems to be giving the mint some trouble. From what I have gathered the edge lettering is not on the collar... it is added in a different process... my guess is that the coins are laid flat and run through a pair of rollers similar to a pitching machine used in batting cages one of these rollers gives the coin the edge lettering... but that is just my guess it could be a completely different process...

here is an short description I found of the process but I would like to know more :ninja:

"The edge lettering is being applied randomly with regard to whether it faces up or down on the business strike coins, after the coins are struck. The business strike coins are fed through a vaccuum-like device that sucks them up into the edge lettering prep machine, which lines them up in whichever way the coins happen to enter the process (heads up or down.) Then the coins roll through a device that inscribes the edge lettering. It is expected that in the end, heads-up edge lettering should be about equal in number to coins which receive "tails-up" edge lettering."

The device used to strike the edge lettering probably is a pitching machine. That might account for some of the knife wounds on Washington and pieces of metal missing.

I want one of the so-called "Godless ones" -- (plain edge)...

I'll take one if I find one, but $200 is a bit steep for something you can hardly see :ninja:

Geez, is the US mint like 200 years behind the rest of the world's mints? ;) I do have coins dating 200 years ago that still have excellent edges, and they are EXTRUSIVE text, not instrusive text.

1724edge5vp.jpg

That coin is minted back in 1724 - more like 280 years old!

This gives the slabbing companies a good reason why they should make coin edges viewable :ninja: It's long overdue.

The device used to strike the edge lettering probably is a pitching machine. That might account for some of the knife wounds on Washington and pieces of metal missing.

There is an actual picture of the edge die in the Feb. 26 issue of Coin World. And if you consider that the mint is running the coins thru this thing at the rate of 1000 coins per minute, it's quite easy to understand the errors. Frankly, I am amazed there are not more of them and I further suspect that when this all shakes out that it will be the coins without errors that are harder to find.

Geez, is the US mint like 200 years behind the rest of the world's mints? ;) I do have coins dating 200 years ago that still have excellent edges, and they are EXTRUSIVE text, not instrusive text.

That coin is minted back in 1724 - more like 280 years old!

This gives the slabbing companies a good reason why they should make coin edges viewable :ninja: It's long overdue.

Or we could just live without the slabs and touch the coins ;)

Archived