CoinPeople.com

1933 Ten dollar silver certificate

Vfox

From the web:

3yrhpxy.jpg

From Wiki:

The first small sized $10 Silver Certificates were issued with a blue seal and serial numbers. The obverse had a similar design style to the 1928 $1 Silver Certificates; however, phrasing on the $10 bill was different from the $1 bill. This issue, with the series date of 1933, was not widely released into general circulation. Surviving examples of these notes usually sell for $10,000 to $30,000 in the numismatic community depending on the condition of the paper.

From me: lol.

I never thought I'd ever see one, and a little while ago I was talking with a friend of mine who is going to be opening a coin shop eventually, and he says to me..."Want to see something kinda cool?" So he pulls out this old box with hard plastic currency holders in it, and hands this note to me. I say to him, "yeah I've seen these before, they are neat looking." He grins, and says "read the date".....and my jaw dropped. Up until a short time ago I didn't even know they existed, and now I've actually held one in my own hands, it was quite a shock. :ninja:

:ninja:

That's the cool part of the silver cert. series (all denominations). They're pretty common on the whole but then you get notes like that or early stars. At Baltimore, I would talk to a dealer tell him what I'm looking for, he'd hand me a great note. I would admire it, think its perfect for my collection then I'd ask the price of it and.... yeah. It was nice to hold for a few seconds though.

From the web:

3yrhpxy.jpg

From Wiki:

The first small sized $10 Silver Certificates were issued with a blue seal and serial numbers. The obverse had a similar design style to the 1928 $1 Silver Certificates; however, phrasing on the $10 bill was different from the $1 bill. This issue, with the series date of 1933, was not widely released into general circulation. Surviving examples of these notes usually sell for $10,000 to $30,000 in the numismatic community depending on the condition of the paper.

From me: lol.

I never thought I'd ever see one, and a little while ago I was talking with a friend of mine who is going to be opening a coin shop eventually, and he says to me..."Want to see something kinda cool?" So he pulls out this old box with hard plastic currency holders in it, and hands this note to me. I say to him, "yeah I've seen these before, they are neat looking." He grins, and says "read the date".....and my jaw dropped. Up until a short time ago I didn't even know they existed, and now I've actually held one in my own hands, it was quite a shock. :ninja:

If 1933 is the first small size silver certificate, then 1928 should be large size silver certificate. Is that correct ?

If 1933 is the first small size silver certificate, then 1928 should be large size silver certificate. Is that correct ?

No, in 1928 it was a small sized note, but this was the first small sized silver certificate. The 1928 ...or 29....I forget which was issued for the $10 I believe was a federal reserve note.

man... would i like to hold one of those! :ninja:

as far as values, i just saw one at a major dealer's website listed for $6500 in VF condition. i think a ballpark figure for notes in uncirculated would be in the $20,000+ range.

the 1933 is the first small silver for this denomination. the other small tens were the 1928 federal reserve note, and the 1929 national.

10-vi.jpg

Archived