CoinPeople.com

2006 one-cent Lincoln 180 degree rotation error

Hi all, found a Lincoln one-cent coin with a perfect 180 degree rotation error - it's a 2006 coin.

And funnily enough, I found it in Australia...!!

Unfortunately it's not in real good condition, a bit stained and all.

Anybody know anything about these? Is it worth me hanging on to or selling?

My second rotation error since I started looking three months ago - I'm quite chuffed!

Cheers!

Nick

Is it rotated 180 degrees compared to an Australian coin? If so, then it is actually a normal coin. The USA is a oddity in that it still issues its coinage using "coin axis" rather than the "medal axis" used by most countries today.

Well, I feel a bit silly :ninja: That explains the exactness of the 180 degrees and my 'incredible fortune' of finding a rotation error straight off the bat.

Thanks for the tip!

So is there a reason American coins are made to look 'right way up' when you flip them towards/away from you, as compared to turning them around like Australian coins? Seems a strange choice.

Various countries have used the two different types. Many countries used the "coin axis" for centuries. Medal axis became standard in the early 1900s, with the U.S. being a notable holdout.

As an example, Canada switched in 1903, so coins 1902 and earlier when turned around are up-side-down.

Archived