CoinPeople.com

Portuguese India

Ian

I've just finished scanning my Portuguese India coins, and one of them stood out like a sore thumb. The 1934 1 Tanga. It's the only one of a batch of fifty or so coins that is in medal rotation, the rest are all normal coin rotation.

Given that the two and four tangas of the same design are both coin rotation, I am wondering if this is an error coin I have or whether it should indeed be medal rotation. Problem is, I never come across these coins these days, so it's not as if i am likely to find another to compare it with anytime soon. Unfortunately, Krause is out for lunch as far detail on this coinage is concerned.

To anyone with access to reference for Portuguese India coinage......Help! :ninja:

Ian

Yes, that's the only ("modern" at least) coin from Portuguese India with medal rotation.

Jose ;)

I've just finished scanning my Portuguese India coins, and one of them stood out like a sore thumb. The 1934 1 Tanga. It's the only one of a batch of fifty or so coins that is in medal rotation, the rest are all normal coin rotation.

Given that the two and four tangas of the same design are both coin rotation, I am wondering if this is an error coin I have or whether it should indeed be medal rotation. Problem is, I never come across these coins these days, so it's not as if i am likely to find another to compare it with anytime soon. Unfortunately, Krause is out for lunch as far detail on this coinage is concerned.

To anyone with access to reference for Portuguese India coinage......Help! :ninja:

Ian

Nice, finished scanning, and where oh where are the scans?

Didn't want to bore anyone :ninja:

I'm currently working on scanning the `Indian' part of my collection so i'm adding to Omnicoin all the time. I've done the few East India Company ones I have, a few of the native states but still got a few left to do before moving on to the Brit Empire stuff (Victoria and later).

If you really want to punish yourself by looking through scores of Indian coins (including Portuguese India) or any others for that matter, then by all means have a look at :

http://www.omnicoin.com/?collection=Ian

There's some nice coins (and some real dogs too!) in that lot.

I've since heard from another collector of these pieces and he has checked his coins. Apparently his 1934 tangas (he has three of them....now that is greed! ;) ) are all medal alignment. Looks like they were all made that way. Ah well....as they say in Monopoly... do not pass go. Do not collect £200. ;)

Ian

Yes, that's the only ("modern" at least) coin from Portuguese India with medal rotation.

Jose :ninja:

Thanks Jose. I was hoping that you would see my post. Is there any standard reference for these pieces you could let me know of? Information on them is pretty scant from what I can see.

cheers,

Ian

Nice Indian collection, somewhere in the dark depths of my collection I have a bunch of Gwalior, Hyderabad, and Jodhpur coins. I remember attributing them was an effort. I need to start collecting the Portuguese India coins, interesting denominations.

Thanks Jose. I was hoping that you would see my post. Is there any standard reference for these pieces you could let me know of? Information on them is pretty scant from what I can see.

cheers,

Ian

There is the "Gomes" of course (over 70 pages - 10% of the book - about Portuguese India coins) and its sources, but these should be very hard to find.

Jose

Nice Indian collection, somewhere in the dark depths of my collection I have a bunch of Gwalior, Hyderabad, and Jodhpur coins. I remember attributing them was an effort. I need to start collecting the Portuguese India coins, interesting denominations.

Thanks for your comments. I used to find Indian coinages fascinating. So many variations. So many forms of `error' coins. There really is enough there to keep you actively interested for a lifetime. however, my sources for these coins dried up a good few years ago and my interests developed elsewhere. It has however been fascinating re-visiting this part of my collection as i've now got a much better `handle' on spotting things now, and i'm much more used to examining minutae. I've re-classified quite a few coins in the process and almost fell into the trap of starting to look out for Indian coins again.....but I have resisted.

The Portuguese Indian coins......maybe once upon a time they were easy enough to collect....not now!

I started with the modern decimal series. managed to get hold of most of them just fine. As you can imagine, there's always one that fails to present, and usually one that catalogues say is `common'. Such was the case with me. It took me ten years of searching and pleading with dealers....all to no avail. I finally got hold of the missing coin through a tip off from Jose....that Jorg was actually selling one!

Much of the earlier 19th and 20th century coinage has become as scarce as hen's teeth. So if you are after a real challenge, then a type set of Portuguese India from 1870 onwards would be a very daunting task. Do-able, but certainly not in the `easy peasy' category. :ninja:

Ian

There is the "Gomes" of course (over 70 pages - 10% of the book - about Portuguese India coins) and its sources, but these should be very hard to find.

Jose

Thanks Jose.

Somehow I get the feeling that a 700 page book on Portuguese coinage is not only going to be very difficult to find, but rather expensive when I eventually do find it. :ninja:

I'll check with some likely peop's to see if anyone has a copy on hand, but buying it just now is probably a non starter.......unless i get into these coins again...always a possibility.... ;)

Ian

Thanks Jose.

Somehow I get the feeling that a 700 page book on Portuguese coinage is not only going to be very difficult to find, but rather expensive when I eventually do find it. :ninja:

I'll check with some likely peop's to see if anyone has a copy on hand, but buying it just now is probably a non starter.......unless i get into these coins again...always a possibility.... ;)

Ian

Ian, a Portuguese India typeset from 1870 onwards its not difficult at all, it will take a few hundred Euro tough...

I wasn't talking about the "Gomes" itself (of which i've actually got a 2003 edition to sell but the overseas postage will be higher than my actual sell price and to your specific interests it would be "overkill"), but its "Portuguese India" bibliography, just in case you stumble on them:

- "Catálogo das moedas Indo-Portuguesas do Museu Municipal do Porto" - Damião Peres

- "Catálogo das moedas Indo-Portuguesas do Museu Numismático Português" - Damião Peres

- "Dinheiro Luso-Indiano" - J. Ferraro Vaz

- "Ouro amoedado da India Portuguesa" - Joaquim Fronteira

- "Moedas de prata da India Portuguesa" - Joaquim Fronteira

- "Numismática Indo-Portuguesa" - Manuel Joaquim de Campos

- "Collection Henry Thomas Grogan" - J. Shulman

Jose

Ian, a Portuguese India typeset from 1870 onwards its not difficult at all, it will take a few hundred Euro tough...

I guess it depends on `grade' but even then I think `quite a few hundred euro'. ;)

I wasn't talking about the "Gomes" itself (of which i've actually got a 2003 edition to sell but the overseas postage will be higher than my actual sell price and to your specific interests it would be "overkill"), but its "Portuguese India" bibliography, just in case you stumble on them:

- "Catálogo das moedas Indo-Portuguesas do Museu Municipal do Porto" - Damião Peres

- "Catálogo das moedas Indo-Portuguesas do Museu Numismático Português" - Damião Peres

- "Dinheiro Luso-Indiano" - J. Ferraro Vaz

- "Ouro amoedado da India Portuguesa" - Joaquim Fronteira

- "Moedas de prata da India Portuguesa" - Joaquim Fronteira

- "Numismática Indo-Portuguesa" - Manuel Joaquim de Campos

- "Collection Henry Thomas Grogan" - J. Shulman

Thanks.

I saw a JF Vaz `Dinheiro...etc' up for sale....... at €103 plus postage. A bit of an overkill as you say. Mind you it is a 600+ pages book. :ninja: Here in the backwoods of Kirkcaldy we don't see many of these coins, let alone get much of a chance to see the related literature. A visit to the reference library in Edinburgh is in order though. :-)

Jose

I guess it depends on `grade' but even then I think `quite a few hundred euro'. ;)

Thanks.

I saw a JF Vaz `Dinheiro...etc' up for sale....... at €103 plus postage. A bit of an overkill as you say. Mind you it is a 600+ pages book. ;) Here in the backwoods of Kirkcaldy we don't see many of these coins, let alone get much of a chance to see the related literature. A visit to the reference library in Edinburgh is in order though. :-)

Jose

I was thinking VF/XF coins for those "few hundred Euro", and besides, since CGD released the BNU vault contents, the prices for some of those coins has been on the down side: :ninja:

LINK

All good bibliography for Portuguese numismatics is hard to find, even "Gomes" which is the most important work is only printed every 3/4 years and only 2000 copies, most of the other references are usually below 1000 copies and never reprinted... ;)

Jose

I was thinking VF/XF coins for those "few hundred Euro", and besides, since CGD released the BNU vault contents, the prices for some of those coins has been on the down side: :ninja:

LINK

All good bibliography for Portuguese numismatics is hard to find, even "Gomes" which is the most important work is only printed every 3/4 years and only 2000 copies, most of the other references are usually below 1000 copies and never reprinted... ;)

Jose

Ah....so it looks like a fewmore coins have found their way onto the market. I didn't know that.

I'm still looking for the 1871 3 reis, 5 reis, 10 reis, quarto and half tanga in VF or better. Any ideas as to where i can find these?

Ah....so it looks like a fewmore coins have found their way onto the market. I didn't know that.

I'm still looking for the 1871 3 reis, 5 reis, 10 reis, quarto and half tanga in VF or better. Any ideas as to where i can find these?

Right now, there's a guy from the UK selling the complete set on Ebay (search for "india 1871")... ;) but i would only buy the 3 reis from him. :ninja:

Jose

Right now, there's a guy from the UK selling the complete set on Ebay (search for "india 1871")... ;) but i would only buy the 3 reis from him. ;)

Jose

Thanks for the `heads up' Jose. ;)

Well, in their defence I have seen the `Simmons Gallery' sell far better coins than this particular offering. You are right in what you say about their condition though. To my eye, they look to have been `curated' at some point. As to the 3 reis, if you play around with the image and bring the brightness level up to what the coin should look like in real life, verdigris becomes very noticeable on the obverse......

Scarce as they may be, i'd leave that particular pack of puppies at home with the seller. :ninja:

As an aside, i've been given the details of a contact in India who apparently has some of these type coins for sale. I'll let you know if they have the right coins at `Ian friendly' prices.

By the way, the prices of these rupias are incredibly low! Can i ask you what the best way buying a few would be? I tried to see if there was any way of doing so on-line but my language skills failed me as usual. ;)

Ian

Okay gentlemen, enough of this conversation - I am in over my head with all the new stuff I have been hoarding, Spanish banknotes, Portuguese coins and banknotes, now thinking about Portuguese India. :ninja:

Portuguese India coins are boring and dull, don't do it, you should stick with more "attractive" collections... ;)

Thanks for the `heads up' Jose. ;)

Well, in their defence I have seen the `Simmons Gallery' sell far better coins than this particular offering. You are right in what you say about their condition though. To my eye, they look to have been `curated' at some point. As to the 3 reis, if you play around with the image and bring the brightness level up to what the coin should look like in real life, verdigris becomes very noticeable on the obverse......

Scarce as they may be, i'd leave that particular pack of puppies at home with the seller. ;)

As an aside, i've been given the details of a contact in India who apparently has some of these type coins for sale. I'll let you know if they have the right coins at `Ian friendly' prices.

By the way, the prices of these rupias are incredibly low! Can i ask you what the best way buying a few would be? I tried to see if there was any way of doing so on-line but my language skills failed me as usual. ;)

Ian

Before anything else note that "IVA = VAT" and we're talking 21% here...

The only BU coin types are the 1935 Rupia and 1936 1/2 Rupia, all other are VF at best and i've seen 1912 Rupias selling for lower values on Ebay. To get those one must place an order personally at a branch and retreive them a few days later (let me know if you want some, but it will take a while...)

Jose :D

The only BU coin types are the 1935 Rupia and 1936 1/2 Rupia, all other are VF at best and i've seen 1912 Rupias selling for lower values on Ebay. To get those one must place an order personally at a branch and retreive them a few days later (let me know if you want some, but it will take a while...)

Jose ;)

Thanks for the offer to help out Jose. The `difficulty' in getting these has made me come to my senses again :ninja:.

Since it is really only the 1912 i'm after to complete my type set from 1881 it probably is best to just watch out on ebay. However, I might have second thoughts dependent upon how flush I am (or otherwise) at the end of March. I still find some of these prices attractive. ;)

Archived