CoinPeople.com

My first large size U.S. note ...

AuldFartte

$1 Silver Certificate, Series 1923

904084A.jpg

904084B.jpg

Beautiful especially when they are large ones. I am still waiting for a 1899 Black Eagle $1 solid 55555555 to appear for sale to add to my collection.

Also Nice photo in Digipicker.

:ninja:

1923 Speelman-White $1 Silver Cert was the first collectibable note in my collection too. A gift from my Uncle's collection.

The silver certificate series is a great one to start with. Lots of easy to find notes but with almost 60 in the whole series (from that note right there through the 57-B Star) it will take a while. There are also some that will set you back a few thousand in any grade! Lots of dates, varieties, keys, and fun!

My notes are almost 900 miles away right now but I'd guess 20% larger in width and in length. I personally wouldn't want to carry around the large size notes

Seal colors do have value difference. In the series that I currently focus on (silver certificates), there are only a few differences in colors. Someone else can better answer your questions about other series.

great note auldfartte! i hope you don't mind me borrowing the image to answer johnny's question. :ninja:

johnny, here's what a u.s. large and small-sized banknote would look like if they were side to side:

904084A-vi.jpg

one-vi.jpg

large-sized notes were printed between 1863 and 1929, and measure 7 3/8 x 3 1/8 inches. small-sized, (or modern), notes were printed from 1928 to the present and measure 6 1/8 x 2 5/8 inches.

the color of the treasury seal depends on what type of banknote it is, rather than the size.

general issues:

blue seal - silver certificates: redeemable for face value in silver

yellow/orange seal - gold certificates : redeemable for face value in gold

brown seal - national bank notes/federal reserve bank notes: national currency based on chartered bank holdings of treasury securities

red seal - united states notes : fiat currency based on nothing that is legal tender by law (also called legal tenders)

green seal - federal reserve note : fiat currency based on nothing that is legal tender by law

WWII emergency notes (quick identification markings in case demonetization was necessary):

yellow seal - north africa : silver certificates used by u.s. military forces during the north africa campaign

brown seal - hawaii : federal reserve note printed for use in the hawaiian islands. overprinted with 'hawaii'

San Miguel gave a lot of good information there that should help, but a minor point on seal color as they were not all set in stone. For example, most series 1914 Federal Reserve notes had blue seals, however there were series 1914 Federal Reserve Notes that had Red Seals too (they didn't shift to green seals until the move to small size notes in the late 1920s. Also, the large size national currency had blue seals and sometimes red. The some large size silver certificates had red seals like the series 1891, and some Treasury notes had red seals (though as a precurser to US Notes, that makes sense). Bottom line, your color coding is really only applicable to the small size notes generally, as large size notes are much more of a mixture of types and seal colors. The only one that was really constant was that only gold seals were used for gold certificates, but there again, there were some gold certificates with red seals!

Thanks for the kind comments, and thank you VERY much for the valuable educational responses, too. I've just started to put a Silver Certificate type set together. Looks like fun :ninja:

great note auldfartte! i hope you don't mind me borrowing the image to answer johnny's question. :ninja:

johnny, here's what a u.s. large and small-sized banknote would look like if they were side to side:

904084A-vi.jpg

one-vi.jpg

large-sized notes were printed between 1863 and 1929, and measure 7 3/8 x 3 1/8 inches. small-sized, (or modern), notes were printed from 1928 to the present and measure 6 1/8 x 2 5/8 inches.

the color of the treasury seal depends on what type of banknote it is, rather than the size.

general issues:

blue seal - silver certificates: redeemable for face value in silver

yellow/orange seal - gold certificates : redeemable for face value in gold

brown seal - national bank notes/federal reserve bank notes: national currency based on chartered bank holdings of treasury securities

red seal - united states notes : fiat currency based on nothing that is legal tender by law (also called legal tenders)

green seal - federal reserve note : fiat currency based on nothing that is legal tender by law

WWII emergency notes (quick identification markings in case demonetization was necessary):

yellow seal - north africa : silver certificates used by u.s. military forces during the north africa campaign

brown seal - hawaii : federal reserve note printed for use in the hawaiian islands. overprinted with 'hawaii'

Thanks for that info & pic comparison, interesting to see the size differences between the two

Archived