CoinPeople.com

My recent banknote purchases

Johnny 1989

After a bit of experimenting this afternoon/evening I decided to use banknote bank. I already have a flickr account and unfortunately with the free account your limited to 200 pictures and only three folders. I tried fotki but when I uploaded the images it had something about buying prints????

So then I went on Banknote bank and although not perfect (you have to renew images every 6 months, they give you the option if you so wish & also you have to put in a year regardless of whether you know one or not) I found easier to work with for what I wanted it to do.

Thanks though to all that pointed me towards those sites below is the link to my banknote album, so far only UK, Isle Of Man, Jersey, Northern Ireland and one of my Scottish notes so far but I'll add more tomorrow

http://www.banknotebank.com/?collection=Johnny1989

You can try www.photobucket.com I am currently using it. Not sure about the limits but so far, I am have a lot of scans in my account.

:ninja:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice looking notes Johnny 1989! I like the English notes, but due to their price, I have shied away from them. I really like the one pound from 1950 - esp. the reverse. :ninja:

Thanks. That's the only problem with collecting BOE banknotes, their price jumps dramatically. A Series D £50 (with Sir Christopher Wren on the back) has a starting price of £150 and they were introduced in the 1980's

When I got the Series A £1 note back in 1996/7 it was only £5, the dark line down the side was due to the individual wallet it was in, it wasn't quite big enough & the then smoky atmosphere in my house (when my dad used to smoke in the front room) cause that line. Now they are £20+ depending on serial number, sig, etc.

I'm only aiming to get one example of each of these due to the costs

Only two of the notes arrived today unfortunately:

904442A.jpg

Zimbabwe $50 Bearer Cheque. Glad I got at least one of this series

904443A.jpg

Yugoslavia 500 Dinar 1978. Not much to say about this one except that I got it because it was from a country that technically no longer exists

Images from my Banknote Bank folder. I will add my older purchases to this later tonight :ninja:

HUGE update this time, I came home to find SIXTEEN notes awaiting me :ninja:

You can see both sides in my album, but here's the front of each note.

USA

904633A.jpg

A familiar note this one, a Series 1993 $20 note from the USA, since been superseeded twice

Brazil

1950's/1960's

904639A.jpg

904640A.jpg

Two more notes from this great series of designs, if anyone know what values were released for this series please let me know ;)

Late 1970's/early 1980's

904636A.jpg

904637A.jpg

904638A.jpg

Three here from the same series, I'm not sure what values were released for this series, if anyone knows please let me know ;)

Early-Mid 1980's

904642A.jpg

Again I'm not sure which values were released from this series, if anyone knows.... ;)

Bahamas

904641A.jpg

This note is truely beautiful, the reverse has a vast amount of colours, check my folder to see it ;)

Part 2

Canada

904643A.jpg

904644A.jpg

Two Canadian notes from the 1970's

East Germany

904645A.jpg

East Germany 200 marks note from 1985, the last series issued by East Germany before East & West merged together. Apparently this note wasn't released into circulation, can anyone verify this.

East Caribbean States

904646A.jpg

A map is on the back of these notes of where these notes are issued.

India

904647A.jpg

Nice India 5 Rupee note

Liberia

904648A.jpg

This note bares a striking resemblance to many American banknotes of the past

St Helena

904649A.jpg

A banknote from an Crown dependancy that uses the pound and a place of which most people will probably never visit, due to it's location

United Kingdom

904635A.jpg

And my most treasured (and expensive purchase) of this lot a C Series £5 note, this one was introduced in 1963 although this particular one was issued in early 1971. In late 1971 they were replaced by the D Series, Duke Of Wellington notes.

More soon, I think I'll lay off eBay for a while :ninja:

904645A.jpg

East Germany 200 marks note from 1985, the last series issued by East Germany before East & West merged together. Apparently this note wasn't released into circulation, can anyone verify this.

Verified - It's Pick #32 and it states that it was not issued in the description.

All nice notes BTW! :ninja:

Part 2

Canada

904643A.jpg

904644A.jpg

Two Canadian notes from the 1970's

East Germany

904645A.jpg

East Caribbean States

904646A.jpg

A map is on the back of these notes of where these notes are issued.

India

904647A.jpg

Nice India 5 Rupee note

Liberia

904648A.jpg

This note bares a striking resemblance to many American banknotes of the past

St Helena

904649A.jpg

A banknote from an Crown dependancy that uses the pound and a place of which most people will probably never visit, due to it's location

United Kingdom

904635A.jpg

And my most treasured (and expensive purchase) of this lot a C Series £5 note, this one was introduced in 1963 although this particular one was issued in early 1971. In late 1971 they were replaced by the D Series, Duke Of Wellington notes.

More soon, I think I'll lay off eBay for a while :ninja:

I like the C Series 5 pounder. If only it has a solid 555555. ;)

MORE!!!!

USA

904859A.jpg

USA $5 Series 2003. I'll be honest I don't like this style for the US Banknotes, I personally prefer the older designs & the new multicoloured ones

Brunei

904862A.jpg

Brunei 1 Ringgit, nice polymere note

USSR

904866A.jpg

USSR 3 Rubles note from 1991

Ecuador

904865A.jpg

Ecuador 5 Sucres from 1988, and as common with old American banknotes following a same style to the USA, Brazil, etc.

St Thomas & Prince (Islands?)

904864A.jpg

Nice multicoloured note from 1993

Cayman Islands

904863A.jpg

Queen Lizzie 2 again, this time on another lovely, sea themed note for the Cayman Islands

Sierra Leone

904861A.jpg

The best one in this lot IMHO, lots of vivid colours and interesting lettering on the back, check my banknote bank folder for both sides of these images

Some of the images are a bit crooked, this is due to me not putting them in the scanner properly, I'll try to rescan them at a later date.

Yet more to follow in the next few days

USA $5 Series 2003. I'll be honest I don't like this style for the US Banknotes, I personally prefer the older designs & the new multicoloured ones

Agree

Ecuador

904865A.jpg

Ecuador 5 Sucres from 1988, and as common with old American banknotes following a same style to the USA, Brazil, etc.

haha.. i noticed that too. If I ever get into world note collecting, I'd start with a collection of notes of this style and of previous ones you have featured. I just think they are great.

Thanks for all the comments, and thanks to Dave for confirming that the East German 200 marks note never got circulated.

Some more turned up, this time all QEII

Belize

904906A.jpg

Colourful $2 note from the Central American island

Bahamas

904903A.jpg

904904A.jpg

Two notes of the same value from different decades, the first one from 1974, the second from 2000. The note has virtually remained unchanged save for the portrait of QEII & the colours

Bermuda

904905A.jpg

Another Caribbean island, another colourful note, this one from Bermuda

Isle Of Man

904902A.jpg

Isle Of Man 50 Pence note, yes a note of a very low value, this is Uncirculated but I imagine it was hard to find one in a good condition considering it's low value

I haven't updated for a while but I have recieved quite a few recently

Part 1 of 3

UK

905243A.jpg

Series A MkII printed in different colours so as to combat Nazi Forgeries during WWII, Issue between 1940-1948

Fiji

905244A.jpg

Another Lizzie, this time Fiji

Gibraltar

905245A.jpg

Lizzie yet again, certain elements of this note remind me of the Series E George Stephenson fivers

Guernsey

905246A.jpg

Guernsey note "Z" series serial number, IIRC is a replacement note

USA

905261A.jpg

I like this series, at last the US catches up with the rest of the world :ninja:

Nicaragua

905247A.jpg

The guy from eBay who I bought the $10 note off of gave me this one as a freebie ;)

Solomon Islands

905248A.jpg

Old Lizzie gets about doesn't she, the Solomon Islands this time

Part 2 of 3

Zimbabwe

905257A.jpg

905258A.jpg

905259A.jpg

905260A.jpg

I went down to that shop in Central London, unfortunately that had sold out of the $5 & $50 note, luckily I already had the $50. Interestingly the $100 note doesn't expire until December 2007.

Does anyone know what the number under the Bearers Cheque tag is for? : 02022909 it's on all values

Archived