CoinPeople.com

Massachusetts Bay Complete Set of Notes 1780

Scottishmoney

Five Dollars:

massachusetts51780.jpg

massachusetts51780r.jpg

Uncancelled specimens are rare, wonder if I can take it back to the Commonwealth and ask for my Five Dollars plus the accrued interest?

Seven Dollars: ~ Six Dollars is not necessary!

massachusetts71780.jpg

massachusetts71780r.jpg

Eight Dollars:

massachusetts81780.jpg

massachusetts81780r.jpg

And lastly a $20 bill:

massachusetts201780.jpg

massachusetts201780r.jpg

heheh...if they paid you five dollars plus the 227 years of accrued interest, would the payout be worth more than the collector value? :ninja:

Since the government last paid out about 1¢ on the dollar on these at the beginning of the 19th century, I highly doubt the payout would be enough. All colonial era paper money was backed by hollow promises unfortunately, and it quickly lost 99% of it's value. Anything with a hole cancel or the slash cancel would have been paid out for a fraction of the original stated value late in the 18th century or at the very beginning of the 19th century. Often times these notes were archived as records of paid debts by the state, and that is why the most of the 1780 issues especially still exist.

Five Dollars:

massachusetts51780.jpg

massachusetts51780r.jpg

Uncancelled specimens are rare, wonder if I can take it back to the Commonwealth and ask for my Five Dollars plus the accrued interest?

Seven Dollars: ~ Six Dollars is not necessary!

massachusetts71780.jpg

massachusetts71780r.jpg

Eight Dollars:

massachusetts81780.jpg

massachusetts81780r.jpg

And lastly a $20 bill:

massachusetts201780.jpg

massachusetts201780r.jpg

The Six Dollar Note is missing. Get Six Million Dollar Man to solve it. :ninja:

That's an awesome set :ninja:

So the values are 1,2,3,4,5,7,8 and 20? It wouldnt seem as odd if they would have included the 6.

Sweet set.

-Bobby

It had to do with the equation of how many notes would make up the total dollar amount of the entire issue. Basically the State legislature would approve a dollar amount issue, then it would have to figure out how many of what denomination would make up the total, imagine doing this in the days before calculators. :ninja:

Archived