CoinPeople.com

Hanging around....

Timofei

If coins (Collection) is nice .Grandson will sell for better price ;) .Just mark references Ex.Tolstoy, Ex.Klingert,Ex....

but some times slabbed high grade can be more "Sweet" than :ninja: Ex. Tolsoys coin ;)

If we buy coins and not slabs, than we could say we buy coins and not pedigrees ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but some times slabbed high grade can be more "Sweet" than :ninja: Ex. Tolsoys coin ;)

If we buy coins and not slabs, than we could say we buy coins and not pedigrees ;)

Slab is plastic or Ex. Tolstoy is the history I would choose the history.

Slab is plastic or Ex. Tolstoy is the history I would choose the history.

I would say Slab is a GRADED plastic ;) which is different from regular plastic material.

And History is good too, but I prefer Graded History ;)

But I won't accept Timofei's Hammer-Job!!!!! :ninja:

I think US collectors 99% will go for slabbed coins and russians just 15-20% for slabbed.

I have no idea about how you would take those figures about 15% Russians. Actually if a slabbed coin is good, original, and in uncirculated condition any collector in the world would buy it. To keep a slabbed coin.... I do not know but I guess in the US collectors would keep them slabbed mostly.

But let me tell you about grandsons - if you live in the US I see no problem to spend before sale a couple of dozen or so bucks for slabbing a coin worth of a couple of dozen of thousands US dollars. Would 25$ be a price of enjoying for years of these nice pieces of metal?

There are no TPG in Russia, so I have no way to send anything for grading anywhere. However I hope the coins I have would not require any originality evaluation and for their condition would please whoever has them after me.

I have no idea about how you would take those figures about 15% Russians. Actually if a slabbed coin is good, original, and in uncirculated condition any collector in the world would buy it. To keep a slabbed coin.... I do not know but I guess in the US collectors would keep them slabbed mostly.

But let me tell you about grandsons - if you live in the US I see no problem to spend before sale a couple of dozen or so bucks for slabbing a coin worth of a couple of dozen of thousands US dollars. Would 25$ be a price of enjoying for years of these nice pieces of metal?

There are no TPG in Russia, so I have no way to send anything for grading anywhere. However I hope the coins I have would not require any originality evaluation and for their condition would please whoever has them after me.

Dear Timofei, when I wrote 15% I marked that I can be wrong.

The reason was that most russian collectors doesn't give any points for a slab. All they looking for its high grade coins (if possible)

But if coins slabbed I can be sure that in US most collectors likes to keep in graded by TPG

But again, coin buyer can do anything he likes. And for grandson will be better if coin graded, he can skip lot's of questions about authencity of coin. :ninja:

And Also I don't think that under the slab you can not really feel the power of the detail. All problem is just you not able to see an edge which is sucks of course.

Regards,

For me it is like this - 19th/20th century slabbed, 18th century not slabbed.

I do not get much pleasure from handling cookie cutter, all the same coins of 19th/20th century (unless you really need to see the edge). In addition, I do not think Coin Grading Services know how to grade early imperial coinage. :ninja:

For me it is like this - 19th/20th century slabbed, 18th century not slabbed.

I do not get much pleasure from handling cookie cutter, all the same coins of 19th/20th century (unless you really need to see the edge). In addition, I do not think Coin Grading Services know how to grade early imperial coinage. :ninja:

Correctly noticed. NGC / PCGS are well known for downgrading early Russian coins. If you take , for example early US dollar in VF25 , you will hardly see any details. At the same time Russian XVIII century rouble graded VF25 is probably by 2-3 grades higher.

I have a small collection of graded Peter I roubles - they all look much better then the holder suggests. Will I break them? Good question ! And the answer is YES, if I'm to sell them to Russian dealers; otherwise , the answer is NO. Am I wrong here ?

Thank you,

Correctly noticed. NGC / PCGS are well known for downgrading early Russian coins. If you take , for example early US dollar in VF25 , you will hardly see any details. At the same time Russian XVIII century rouble graded VF25 is probably by 2-3 grades higher. I have a small collection of graded Peter I roubles - they all look much better then the holder suggests. Will I break them? Good question ! And the answer is YES, if I'm to sell them to Russian dealers; otherwise , the answer is NO. Am I wrong here ? Thank you,
The Russian dealers paying more for VF slabs? :ninja:

If that is old ANACS slabs - I do not think Russian or US dealer pays attention to the grade mentioned on plastic. Generally, if a coin is intended for sale I guess it is wise to keep it slabbed and let the buyer decide. Myself I have to keep some coins slabbed when I plan to sell. Like these 2 guys - it is the same Ilyin #9 type though with small die differences in the eagle tail and inscription relative to the St.Andrew order. I plan to trade or sell one of them so I must keep 1 coin in plastic. ;)

2 TheLeningradDutch: I am fully booked and the union does not agree with overtime hours ;)

And for grandson will be better if coin graded, he can skip lot's of questions about authencity of coin. ;)

NO WAY! Neither NGC nor other slabs can give you the guarantee that the coin is genuine. I saw many slabbed fakes appearing on the major auctions - either they have no idea what they are grading or they are corrupt and do everything for the money. ;) I even find slabs dangerous because people trust them and getting fooled. :ninja:

Timofei: will you sell the one on top or on the bottom?

Both are in the same condition, the slabbed coin has better orb, not slabbed - better portrait (hairs). Both have same toning (I cannot make better color image of a slabbed coin, color on the picture is different from reality). Maybe I should flip a coin or let the buyer decide or keep both varieties. For the moment I keep one slabbed, "just in case".

Both are in the same condition, the slabbed coin has better orb, not slabbed - better portrait (hairs). Both have same toning (I cannot make better color image of a slabbed coin, color on the picture is different from reality). Maybe I should flip a coin or let the buyer decide or keep both varieties. For the moment I keep one slabbed, "just in case".

I like the one on top, notwithstanding the slab. I am sure, though, that I cannot afford to pay Moscow prices...

No. You did not get it. What I said was : I WILL BREAK THE HOLDER IF I'AM TO SELL A COIN TO A RUSSIAN DEALER. BTW, I respect their opinion - most of them are very well prepared and trained.

Absolutely ! Very nice ! The point , however, is different ....

I'm not sure what the point is.

If the slab said MS-69, it would still be the same coin, no better and no worse. Only the label would be different.

It's funny how a coin can be AU-58 one day and then MS-63 if cracked out and resubmitted. No matter what the slab says, it is still the same coin. :ninja:

If the slab said MS-69, it would still be the same coin, no better and no worse. Only the label would be different.

It's funny how a coin can be AU-58 one day and then MS-63 if cracked out and resubmitted. No matter what the slab says, it is still the same coin. ;)

No, it's not the same, it is much better coin now! ;) That's the point. :ninja:

"It's funny how a coin can be AU-58 one day and then MS-63 if cracked out and ... " sold without slab. ;)

WCO

It's funny how a coin can be AU-58 one day and then MS-63 if cracked out and resubmitted. No matter what the slab says, it is still the same coin. :ninja:

Exactly ! The coin IS the same. But the selling price IS different between AU58 and, say, MS62. That's why the holder can be broken and the coin again "becomes" UNC instead of aUNC ! Little magic !

Again, you're right the coin remains unchanged.

Exactly ! The coin IS the same. But the selling price IS different between AU58 and, say, MS62. That's why the holder can be broken and the coin again "becomes" UNC instead of aUNC ! Little magic !

Again, you're right the coin remains unchanged.

I am saddened to see this MS-xx grading pathology spreading from US coins to Russian coins. :ninja:

Archived