CoinPeople.com

Important auction in Germany for Russian coins

bobh

Coming up on March 1 (auction 41 has the Russian coins):

GERMAN: Auction 41

ENGLISH: Auction 41

Many interesting Russian lots!

Thanks for the notice. I looked at the lots and there are some interesting coins. However, I have some problems with lot 3264, the Peter III ducat. I am unable to match the bust hub or reverse die with any pieces in my database.

RWJ

Thanks for the notice. I looked at the lots and there are some interesting coins. However, I have some problems with lot 3264, the Peter III ducat. I am unable to match the bust hub or reverse die with any pieces in my database.

RWJ

I agree, lot 3264 porter and eagle looks funny (not original).

Did you review the lot 3214 Ruble of Peter II, I believe I saw the same coin before and I think it is questionable authenticity of the coin.

I agree, lot 3264 porter and eagle looks funny (not original).

Did you review the lot 3214 Ruble of Peter II, I believe I saw the same coin before and I think it is questionable authenticity of the coin.

I looked at lot 3214 but do not have an opinion. Perhaps there is someone else who knows this area well enough to comment.

RWJ

Agreed, lot 3214 looks very familiar. ;) I believe , not long ago, we all saw this portrait on EBay... As to the lot 3217....They always look "scary"...

The description of lot 3214 in the printed catalog says "Unedierte Variante" (i.e.: "unpublished variety") :ninja:

I find it interesting that among all the references for these coins, Bitkin and Uzdenikov are never mentioned. I wonder why??

I can get the German section to work, but the English ist verboten fur me. :ninja:

Yes, I later realized that they only have the main access page translated. As soon as one clicks on "online catalog", everything afterwards is in German again. ;)

(helpful tip: Russia = "Russland" ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

Prices realized have been posted at the WAG website in the meantime. Interestingly enough, 3214 and 3264 were withdrawn (I presume that's what the "Z" means, i.e. "zurückgezogen"). Lot 3217 is marked with "F" (probably "Fälschung", or counterfeit?) :ninja:

On the whole, prices look not so crazy as in other recent auctions. Most expensive Russian coin sold there, I believe, was a Gangut rouble (lot no. 3439) which went for EUR 10,000 (+ 15% + VAT + shipping + insurance, of course).

Archived