CoinPeople.com

Help ID/Value of unkown, rectangular, silver, oriental coin

basicbob101

Hi folks,

once again I call on the vast expertise of this forum to help ID and value an unknown coin in my collection. I picked this up in Korea in around 1964 or 1965, I think I paid about a buck for it. It may be Korean or Japanese or ?? (Genghis Khan?? LOL).

it appears to be solid silver, each of the edges/ends have a dimple indention on them, three on each side and two on each end, not sure if this is where the coin was fitted in a clamp to stamp or what. It is somewhat irreguler in shape as you can see and I think that may discount the clamp theory as the indentions are fairly even all around.

I may be able to only post one photo on this thread, if so I will post a obverse photo on a follow up thread, labeled "obverse of unknown oriental coin above" anyway, would appreciate any info on country, date, value, etc.

oriental_coin.JPG

here is the obverse (reverse..don't know which side is which)

for some reason I can't add another photo, even on a seperate thread, guess there must be a daily limit to the amount of space available, don't know how some folks can add multiple photos that are larger than the one I posted..will try to get obverse on tomorrow. thankx for your patience. bob

Hi folks,

once again I call on the vast expertise of this forum to help ID and value an unknown coin in my collection. I picked this up in Korea in around 1964 or 1965, I think I paid about a buck for it. It may be Korean or Japanese or ?? (Genghis Khan?? LOL).

it appears to be solid silver, each of the edges/ends have a dimple indention on them, three on each side and two on each end, not sure if this is where the coin was fitted in a clamp to stamp or what. It is somewhat irreguler in shape as you can see and I think that may discount the clamp theory as the indentions are fairly even all around.

I may be able to only post one photo on this thread, if so I will post a obverse photo on a follow up thread, labeled "obverse of unknown oriental coin above" anyway, would appreciate any info on country, date, value, etc.

It is Japanese, it is called a "Bu" and is silver. These were minted from the 1830's through the 1860's, mostly in the 1850's. Based on the character in the lower left hand corner, the piece dates from 1868-1869 and was issued during the last years of the Shogunate. This coin is .807 fine. In my old catalog(1982) it is valued at $100.00

Archived