CoinPeople.com

Just a curiosity - are Moscow and St. Petersburg mint open for visitors?

gxseries

Recently, I had the opportunity to visit Canberra Mint in Australia which you can see my other post. It was great fun really. That did remind me of the Moscow Mint while I was in Russia, but unfortunately I avoided going outdoors whereever possible - it was a time where Neo Nazi was at it's peak ;)

I did remember seeing the Moscow Mint while I was taking a trambus from Metro Shabolovskaya to the International Post Office. That was discovered by accident but foolishly I didn't dare to go anywhere closer to it. Can't remember what route number it is - maybe someone here can tell me?

It was freaky from my first impression - it just looked like some sort of prison cell. Yes you could have told me to be more adventerous but it wasn't funny during the 2002 Korea-Japan world cup especially the day when Russia lost the football match against Japan. Well the International post office meant that I was already prepared to get out the country. Now I've gone a bit too off topic :ninja:

Anyways - anyone had experiences of visiting the mints in Russia or the older mints like EM? As well as, where on earth do you find coin 'shops' other than Izmailovskii Park and Dom Knigi in Arbat?!

Recently, I had the opportunity to visit Canberra Mint in Australia which you can see my other post. It was great fun really. That did remind me of the Moscow Mint while I was in Russia, but unfortunately I avoided going outdoors whereever possible - it was a time where Neo Nazi was at it's peak ;)

I did remember seeing the Moscow Mint while I was taking a trambus from Metro Shabolovskaya to the International Post Office. That was discovered by accident but foolishly I didn't dare to go anywhere closer to it. Can't remember what route number it is - maybe someone here can tell me?

It was freaky from my first impression - it just looked like some sort of prison cell. Yes you could have told me to be more adventerous but it wasn't funny during the 2002 Korea-Japan world cup especially the day when Russia lost the football match against Japan. Well the International post office meant that I was already prepared to get out the country. Now I've gone a bit too off topic :ninja:

Anyways - anyone had experiences of visiting the mints in Russia or the older mints like EM? As well as, where on earth do you find coin 'shops' other than Izmailovskii Park and Dom Knigi in Arbat?!

Hi!

I visited the old St. Petersburg mint (Petropavel fortress) in 2005. It was real fun. Lots of objects, especially original dies are on display. The shop is very trivial, you won't be able to find anything exciting there. In St Petersburg , visit Konros shop (www.conros.ru) - lots of good literature. Also, if you want to have real fun - visit city's bazaars - just amazing what you can find there. In Moscow - Arbat and Ulan-Bator...

But I believe, our friends from Moscow and St Petersburg can be more helpful.

Thanks,

Archived