CoinPeople.com

The First Banknote in My Collection

Scottishmoney

903787A.jpg

903787B.jpg

I got this note when I was 6 or 7 yrs old, I liked it because it was different, it was in cents, and it was colourful. My father had this leftover from a tour in Viet-Nam, apparently he had this and it was called in for another series while he was out in the field and it lost it's value. So this note along with some well worn Viet-Namese currency came back in a large bag of coins from Japan, Australia, and Viet-Nam that were given to me when I was a kid.

This note started a banknote collection spanning four centuries, hundreds of issuers and several hundred banknotes.

One of the benefits of being a military brat is that I had access to lots of my favourite things, like airplanes(sitting in B-52's, SR-71's - the plane that brought home the bacon in our house, F-102's, F-106's, F-4's, and getting all kinds of Air Force and Navy script and MPC's.

There are a number categories of "first banknotes" for me.

(1) Past Down Category - My grandfather left me with a stack of China 1940 ( Sun-Yat-Sun ) banknotes. They were in relatively good EF condition. Also left a poor condition Straits Settlement 1935 $1 KGV and acid inflicted Straits 1941 $1 KGVI banknote. I kept the two Straits notes and got rid of the China notes.

(2) Unknowingly Category - Probably received Chinese New Year "ang pows" from my parents on Singapore Orchid series $1 from the 1970s.

(3) Purchased Category - In 1980s, my first banknote purchased ( into serious collecting - huge $$$ ) is a Singapore Bird $1 major error note. It was relatively cheap at that time and got it from a dealer who has a very small shop selling coins and banknotes. The shop was so small that he only had space to display one small wall shelf. Amazingly, this error note caught my eye as I walk passed. This dealer is now a big-time second hand Rolex watch dealer whom had a few big Rolex watches shop. The major error note is uncommon and should easily fetch at least US$10,000 and above depending on demand. The note has front design printed on the back and vice versa. There are not many known Singapore major error banknotes around. So far, this is the only known error available. You can see this showcase error note at :

http://www.notepassion.com/Error-Bird-$1.htm

:ninja:;);)

The first for me was this little error note I got in change ...

903406B.jpg

i don't have a picture of it anymore, but my very first note was a well-used and written-on bahraini quarter dinar. i was living in bahrain at the time, (navy brat), and it was the first 'leftover spending money' that i got to keep. i eventually sold it off for face value to replace it with a crispy new one, but bahrain is still one of my favorite countries to collect. :ninja:

• 5 months later...

an 1964 bahraini 100 fils banknote i got from my mum ;) i always liked it cause of its size ;) but ehh i was a newbie an didnt know bout value an stuff ;) so i kept scotch tape on it x( don remember y since its not worn out or anythin :ninja: hey i was 8 or somethin xD lol ....

ps:- nice post thought i will bring it up again ^_^

pss:- san miguel ;) u need anythin other then the purple 20 bd from bahrain let me know ^_^

psss:- .....i think im becoming intrested in banknotes!!!!! i like its water marks an each banknote is unique cause of its serial :D ahhh ^_^

I think mine was a mid 80's Mexican 2,000 peso note. I bartered for it from a friend in 3rd grade because he didn't want it (a gift from his grandma) and I did, although I had no money I think we ended up trading for some fancy pens I had in my bag. Oddly enough I think he overcharged me as exchange rates went, lol! Too bad it wasn't 2,000 Npeso! ;)

The first of my US notes was actually a 1899 black eagle in fine condition, I paid like $12 for it at the time (mid 90's) and I absolutely loved it. Then in about 2002 or so I sold ALL my banknotes including that note and my $1 education series (which I highly regret). Luckily I was able to replace the black eagle, which is my fav. US note, not so much on the Edu note though. :ninja:

The first note I was given was in 4th grade I think. My mom worked for this really nice old couple, and every once in a while I would go to work with her and hangout with them while she worked. He was the nice man who gave me many of my first coins and notes, all german too, which I love to hoard now. (I have somewhere in the 400+ german notes area) One of the first ones he gave me was a 10,000 mark hidden vampire note, which only last year could I see the vampire! Haha! Shortly after he gave me the notes, his wife passed away, and less than three weeks after he followed her. I miss people like that, they were the nicest people I had ever met, and would do anything for you. If I learned anything from them it's that to share ones wealth is to create happiness all around. Thank you Mr. & Mrs. Bloss.

I bartered for it from a friend in 3rd grade because he didn't want it (a gift from his grandma) and I did, although I had no money I think we ended up trading for some fancy pens I had in my bag

ahhhh <3 3rd grade ^_^ lol it was pencil boxes an key chains for me xD lol

I sold ALL my banknotes including that note and my $1 education series (which I highly regret).

!!!!!!! why :ninja: !!!!!

One of the first ones he gave me was a 10,000 mark hidden vampire note, which only last year could I see the vampire!

.....they have that in notes ;) nicccceee ^_^

they were the nicest people I had ever met, and would do anything for you. If I learned anything from them it's that to share ones wealth is to create happiness all around. Thank you Mr. & Mrs. Bloss.

i think u have ;) an they do sound like nice ppl ;) too bad only few ppl like that are left these days

Archived