CoinPeople.com

An Elizabeth Error Coin (for the Museum)

Bill Snyder

I hope that some find this 1757 1/4 ruble interesting -

Russia_1757_q_ruble_ds_o.jpg

Russia_1757_q_ruble_ds_r.jpg

That is way cool. :ninja:

Obviously the coin is double struck on a screw press & not removed from the dies after the first striking. With no collar, it should be wider and thinner than usual, like Elizabeth's overstrikes on coins of Ioann III are.

It looks like the coin was not properly positioned for the first strike but was for the second. Correct?

That is way cool. :ninja:

Obviously the coin is double struck on a screw press & not removed from the dies after the first striking. With no collar, it should be wider and thinner than usual, like Elizabeth's overstrikes on coins of Ioann III are.

It looks like the coin was not properly positioned for the first strike but was for the second. Correct?

I hadn't noticed that the 2nd strike is the one 'on center'. (I'm not sure how I missed that fact. ;) ).

Maybe the second strike was a partially successful attempt to correct the positioning and obliterate the misplaced first strike?

That makes good sense. Since each coin was struck individually, the Coiner, having only seconds to react, may have tried to correct an error.

Archived