CoinPeople.com

what do you think about the new dollars??

LostDutchman

Well, I LOVE THEM!! They provide me with the absolute proof that the U.S. Mint doesn't have the slightest clue of what it's doing in a world filled with marvelous numismatic design -- just check out virtually everything that Austria produces.

The only solution as I see it is that when the mint has some major decisions to make, the only people to call lurk @ COINPEOPLE.COM!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will agree the United States coinage lately has become dull and unattractive. Maybe that's why our coinage is so easy to recognize!

Unfortunately, so is Monopoly money........

Get used to them folks. They'll be with us for a long long time.

Doesn't mean I have to use them!

"Can I get a roll of dollars coins please?"

*Hands me a roll*

"No no, the good looking ones. You know, Susan B's!"

Doesn't mean I have to use them!

"Can I get a roll of dollars coins please?"

*Hands me a roll*

"No no, the good looking ones. You know, Susan B's!"

:ninja:;);) Good looking SBAs. That's a good one. (Other than the DCAMs that is)

Well, OK. I looked over the roll I posted in the auction forum and noticed something. Everyone who mentioned them around here called them "gold dollar"s. The roll I have here isn't even tinted gold. The two coins visible are the chrome color of state quarters.

Does anyone know whether the gold color is plating?

Well, OK. I looked over the roll I posted in the auction forum and noticed something. Everyone who mentioned them around here called them "gold dollar"s. The roll I have here isn't even tinted gold. The two coins visible are the chrome color of state quarters.

Does anyone know whether the gold color is plating?

The gold color is thru the entire coin. It would be a great error to find one that is "silver" colored directly from the mint.

The 'golden' color on the Prexy dollars is manganese brass plating... the core of the coins is pure copper. Yes, the dollars are clad just like quarters, dimes and halves - if you look carefully at the edge you can see the copper coloring around the incused lettering.

Wonder why they don't just make them out of copper and leave them copper colored?

Maybe because people would then consider them to be "cheap". Apart from the 1 dollar coin, you have basically two types or "looks" in contemporary US coinage: the reddish 1 cent, and the silverish other denominations. A copper look could be too close to the penny, while something "golden" conveys the idea of representing a higher value.

Christian

You'd be suprised how many people think the "Golden dollar" is actually made of Gold.

Maybe that's why you don't see them in circulation...

You'd be suprised how many people think the "Golden dollar" is actually made of Gold.

At $600+ a ounce we'll just circulate a coin for $1 that is worth hundreds.....

The 'golden' color on the Prexy dollars is manganese brass plating... the core of the coins is pure copper. Yes, the dollars are clad just like quarters, dimes and halves - if you look carefully at the edge you can see the copper coloring around the incused lettering.

Wow! I thought they were manganese brass all through. Interesting. Thanks.

Wonder why they don't just make them out of copper and leave them copper colored?

They needed the nickel and manganese in the outer clad layers to alter the electomagnetic signature of the coin to match that of the SBA. A pure copper coin would create more electromagnetic distortion because the copper has a lower flux capacity than nickel does.

I purchased three rolls the first Saturday they were available. I put on in my pocket and decided that it was going to be a permanent pocket piece for me. At least one of these coins will eventually look like they circulated. The first week the shinny gold color was knocked off it. By now the coin is starting to take on a more "mature" look, the reverse is looking better as the areas between the relief is darkening down and the token or Chuck 'E Cheese look is leaving. It will be interesting to see what this coin looks like after a year traveling in my pocket.

Archived