CoinPeople.com

Zim Cents Notes

Dave

So I knowingly spend a lot more than these were worth just because I was curious, and because they really weren't that much for me personally - Just a couple dollars. I was expecting something really cheaply printed on small, cheap paper and nothing more.

But instead, I got them, looked at them and exclaimed out loud "Wow!" Here's why:

These notes are as long as and wider than a US Dollar.

4i3krgy.jpg

2uqngw4.jpg

The paper is comparable to other paper notes in their old designs.

4hn9m6o.jpg

2ldwsd5.jpg

There are two water-marks - 500 and a bird watermark.

47mvt4k.jpg

There is a security Strip.

3yqp4c3.jpg

Oddly enough. these notes were printed on the paper intended for the 500 Dollar notes as the security strip and the watermark both denote the 500 denomination

Now here's the kicker:

1 US Dollar = 259.112 Zimbabwe Dollar

or conversely, 1 Zimbabwe Dollar = 0.004155 US Dollar

This makes the 1 cent note worth 0.00004 US Dollars! How many do you think they would have to make to procure a profit? At such a worthless amount, I would assume that they'd make a (Small) profit off them all as there is no-one who would bother to turn them in before they expire on July 31st 2007. But is it really worth it? Even with the recycled 500 dollar note paper? :ninja:

So I knowingly spend a lot more than these were worth just because I was curious, and because they really weren't that much for me personally - Just a couple dollars. I was expecting something really cheaply printed on small, cheap paper and nothing more.

But instead, I got them, looked at them and exclaimed out loud "Wow!" Here's why:

These notes are as long as and wider than a US Dollar.

4i3krgy.jpg

2uqngw4.jpg

The paper is comparable to other paper notes in their old designs.

4hn9m6o.jpg

2ldwsd5.jpg

There are two water-marks - 500 and a bird watermark.

47mvt4k.jpg

There is a security Strip.

3yqp4c3.jpg

Oddly enough. these notes were printed on the paper intended for the 500 Dollar notes as the security strip and the watermark both denote the 500 denomination

Now here's the kicker:

1 US Dollar = 259.112 Zimbabwe Dollar

or conversely, 1 Zimbabwe Dollar = 0.004155 US Dollar

This makes the 1 cent note worth 0.00004 US Dollars! How many do you think they would have to make to procure a profit? At such a worthless amount, I would assume that they'd make a (Small) profit off them all as there is no-one who would bother to turn them in before they expire on July 31st 2007. But is it really worth it? Even with the recycled 500 dollar note paper? :ninja:

Why do they have expiry dates on them, I've never seen that on any currency before

Why do they have expiry dates on them, I've never seen that on any currency before

These are actually whats known as a Bearer Cheque . These are in reality a check that is payable to whomever holds it - the 'Bearer' without endorsement. As such, they are a form of emergency money. They have an expiration date on them because they are supposed to be 'temporary'. They must be returned to the government by the expiration date, or you're out of luck. There have been six authorized versions of Bearer Cheques issued in Zimbabwe, all since 2003.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article about them:

Wiki Link

Archived