CoinPeople.com

American Banknotes

Johnny 1989

Hi

I'm not really up on US currency & compared to the UK currency I find it rather odd in a sense, although that's not what I want to discuss here :ninja:

Anyway I know that in the US you are currently changing the designs of your banknotes & so far the $10, $20 & $50 dollar notes have changed twice since 1999 & the $5 & $100 are to change in the near future. However I have noticed that the $1 & $2 haven't changed in a very long time, does anyone know why that is at all?

Seems odd that they haven't touched the design of these two notes, yet have changed the others twice in some case.

Apparently they are not counterfeited very much. But now the most forged notes are $10's and $20's since most people don't give them the second look over like you will with a $50 or $100. The $5 is changing to the coloured version pretty soon, I believe this year.

Thanks for the reply. So like the UK notes the $20 is highly forged (as is the $20) but surely, seeing as America is all for corporate design, etc. they would change the design of the $1 & $2 notes or are these both embarked for withdrawal?

i think the government doesn't want to waste the money to come up with a new, high-tech color design for notes that don't really need anti-counterfeiting technology.

i agree that it's strange though. it's the only modern piece of currency in the world that's been in use for almost 100 years without a design change, even though it's sister denominations have been regularly updated. it's odd having currency designs that don't match, but it would definitely be weirder to have big headed colorized dollar bills!

the 1-dollar bill is iconic, and "big-heading" it would be very unpopular.

The $1 and $2 notes did not even participate in the very first anti-counterfeiting change, which was the insertion of a mylar thread into the paper. The older style notes started having those inserted around 1988 (though it varied by denomination, with the $5 note the last updated).

Archived