CoinPeople.com

Found in The Coinstar Reject Bin Thread

Scottishmoney

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t even know where the machines are located anymore. My in store shopping is very limited and I don’t use cash or wander around very much. AH! Online shopping! I love it! 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Likewise; I even use plastic for smaller purchases anymore, and even the vending machines have card readers now.  It's reached the point where it feels a little weird to hand over actual legal tender.

I do a very limited amount of shopping and almost always in the same store. It’s just so much easier to use a card. Chip cards - slide it into the slot. Beep beep - take it our. You’re done. No pockets full of change. About the only time that I get change now is if I pay when we stop for coffee while out in Field Service. For some reason, I almost always use cash. Maybe because places similar to those we stop in are notorious for card number theft. 

I know what you mean but I’ve gotten way to complacent in using cards for everything. Of course, I purchase the cast majority of things online and so cards are a necessity. Paid for coffee yesterday in a small coffee shop with cash. Felt strange getting change and all. 

Can you tell me a bit more about these one-time use numbers that your phone generates. Special app? Special bank? Credit or debit card? 

Art, 

It's a best practice for internet security to use something called Two Factor Authentication. One factor is your normal password to enter a site. The second factor is a code that only you should be able to see to enter on the website. The code can be sent to you a number of ways: text message, email, or on an app. The first two methods are less trustworthy since thieves are getting good at intercepting our emails and text messages for these numbers. Using an app is best. Some websites tell you to use Google Authenticator or other third-party (but trustworthy!) apps. Some tell you to use their own app. For example, my bank has an app that generates these random numbers that only I can see.

I wonder why my bank hasn’t featured such a thing. It would be marvelous for debit/credit card use. 

20 hours ago, Art1.2 said:

Can you tell me a bit more about these one-time use numbers that your phone generates. Special app? Special bank? Credit or debit card? 

Both Apple Pay and Google Pay (formerly Android Pay) use NFC to talk to the credit card machine at the retailer. They transmit the card number (which is generated specifically for this transaction) on the fly, so if the credit card machine has been tampered with only one transaction is affected (instead of canceling your payment card, you just tell your bank about that specific transaction from that retailer and you're done).

No cost for this, but your bank/credit union/... must support Apple Pay/Google Pay ... it's a game changer. 

Ok so I need to actually use that apple pay that I have on my phone and tablets but have completely ignored. Thanks, I will learn how to do this. What a great feature for those using their cards. Can I use this at the gas pump?

My bank has the feature but they don't feature it (does that make sense?). There are a fair amount of services it has that it kind of buries. You may want to ask your bank to see if they have a recommendation or if they have it.

7 hours ago, thedeadpoint said:

My bank has the feature but they don't feature it (does that make sense?). There are a fair amount of services it has that it kind of buries. You may want to ask your bank to see if they have a recommendation or if they have it.

I plan to contact them and ask about it. I’m sure that with the xxxPay things they must pay some sort of fee and probably have some way of avoiding it. 

Meanwhile I have downloaded the GooglePay app so I’ll have ApplePay and GooglePay on my phone - at least. Not sure if I need them on my tablets but ApplePay is there anyway. So I can add GooglePay as well. I have my bank’s mobile app and use it to check balances and move things around, make payments and such but cannot see anything like ApplePay there. 

• 1 month later...

I hardly ever find anything - except today I saw that the reject bin at my local Giant had what looked like a double handful of coins in it. After putting the US coins (all common dates) in the store's charity jar I was left with a nice assortment:

Canada - 10¢, 1992 and 25¢, 1980
Spain - 5 pesetas, 1980
Greece - 5 cents, 2014
Mexico - 50 pesos (pre-revaluation), 1984
UK - 5p, 2008
Singapore - 5 cents, 1987
Ireland - 1 cent, 2011
plus an MBTA transit token and a bonus free-love era "Connect With an Aquarius" token whose design is NSFW.

Nothing spectacular, but still an interesting mix. My guess is that someone picked up common coins from various vacations (the Aquarius one musta been, uh, interesting!) and either finally decided to get rid of them or forgot they were in their change jar.

Thank you! It's more than I've found in the last 3 years combined, although those finds included some minor silver: two Roosies ('56 and '64-D) and a very worn war nickel ('43-P).

• 4 weeks later...