CoinPeople.com

Complete Set of Uncirculated Mint sets.

ClearwaterCoins

Hello all,

I am looking to puchase a complete set of uncirculated mint sets. I am looking for a set running from 1960 thru 2005. Can anybody give me an ideal what a set like this will cost me. I am looking to purchase the whole set at one time and not individualy. Is this the bestway to buy a set like that or would I do better buying them seperate?

Hello all,

I am looking to puchase a complete set of uncirculated mint sets. I am looking for a set running from 1960 thru 2005. Can anybody give me an ideal what a set like this will cost me. I am looking to purchase the whole set at one time and not individualy. Is this the bestway to buy a set like that or would I do better buying them seperate?

I would purchase the mint sets in small quantities, especially if I could not inspect them first. A lot of mint sets have coins that are spotted or badly tarnished/fogged, etc. As an example, I usually buy from a few dealers that I've known and dealt with for a long time. I just got 6 mint sets from one. Of the six two are usable for my collection and they're not top-drawer. Unfortuantely I won't be able to return the other 4. This guys out on the road and it would be far more hastle than it's worth. I'd suggest that you do this at a level where you can inspect and return each set. That way if you get stuck with a few baddies it won't cost you that much.

I couldn't even begin to figure out where you would buy a complete set like that. But if you could it is possible it would be cheaper than purchasing each one separate. Sort of like buying a car piece by piece compared to buyint the entire car. However, good luck in find such a thing. Primarily as already noted be carefull buying the older ones if you can not inspect them.

I would try to get as many as you can all at once. Why? Shipping costs would kill you on separate purchases.

I would talk to Lew from JLS Numismatics. I've bought coins from them in the past and they are great in terms of service and price. I just looked and he's got most of them in stock. I'm certain he will do a package deal for a large run of sets and you'll be able to save some money.

Linky: JLS Numismatics

Off the top of my head it should be around $700.

If you buy them all at once you'll probably get them as they come from sets that

have been cherry picked. On the plus side they'll often remove more sub-standard

and tarnished sets than choice sets but it still makes it highly unlikely you'll get any

really nice gems.

The best bet is to pick them out of dealers' stock one at a time. Some sets are us-

ually dogs and nice ones can really standout. If you can grab the best P package

from one set and the best D from another it will help even more. Most dealers are

going to charge you more for this but it will make a big difference in the value and

saleability of the coins in the long run.

Figure you'll have to look at about ten sets for most dates to be sure of getting all

choice coins, but incredibly only about 200 sets to get all gem coins. It seems they

made some sets extra nice intentionally. In a few cases there's little doubt of it.

If you can trust a dealer to select choice sets to send you. Go that route or My best bet would be to go to a local or major coin shows and do a little leg work and hand pick some beautys your self. just my 2 cents worth. Ron :ninja:

I have great difficulty believing any dealer would do this for you.

Few dealers or collectors will even search the mint sets they sell

for varieties and gems so how would they check them for you?

Most dealers would just pick out sets with cleaner envelopes which

would be little help.

Hello all,

I am looking to puchase a complete set of uncirculated mint sets. I am looking for a set running from 1960 thru 2005.

I just went to a coin show last weekend and looked around for such a pile of sets. Not a chance. I'm going to another coin show tomorrow, Sunday the 18th and will look again but highly doubt that all could be bought at one time.

I'd take a hard look at DS's offerings. All of the sets that I've gotten from her have been primo. Trust me, really primo sets are hard to find.

I was able to purchase a complete mint set from 1960 - 2005 today from a local coin store. It cost me $800.00 and that included a 1994 and 1995 ASE and a 2000 Leif Ericson Millennium Commemorative Dollar Proof. I think I got a realy good deal.

I was able to purchase a complete mint set from 1960 - 2005 today from a local coin store. It cost me $800.00 and that included a 1994 and 1995 ASE and a 2000 Leif Ericson Millennium Commemorative Dollar Proof. I think I got a realy good deal.

Sounds like a good deal. Great going. :ninja:

Archived