CoinPeople.com

1819 Rouble, What is your opinion?

janneen

http://cgi.ebay.com/Russia-russian-coin-on...VQQcmdZViewItem

Would You buy this coin? I've been "hunting" a good this type of rouble for my collection. Does the picture show mint luster or is the coin just cleaned?

This coin looks like someone took a Brillo pad to it. Personally, I would rather have a coin that has wear but has not had the harsh cleaning. I only buy coins that give me pleasure when I take them out to look at, but that's just my particular philosophy. It means that I don't buy a lot of coins since, in some cases, a nice looking coin may be beyond my budget. But I am not dying to buy coins. The coins I do have give me pleasure to look at year after year. I don't have to make excuses like, "...it's a nice coin except for all those hairlines..." One thing about silver as opposed to gold coins: you can have really beautiful toning on silver that you don't normally have on gold. Gold coins always look like..., well "gold!" Silver coins have infinite possibilities. Even some lightly worn coins can have great toning, so for me the varied colors of toned coins make a difference. One can find even relatively inexpensive coins in superb condition with beautiful toning. Those are the coins I go after. The coin in this link to me, at least, is ugly. So unless you just have to have this date, for some reason, I would not buy it. You will always see those very severe hairlines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Russia-russian-coin-on...VQQcmdZViewItem

Would You buy this coin? I've been "hunting" a good this type of rouble for my collection. Does the picture show mint luster or is the coin just cleaned?

Definitely cleaned. :ninja: Besides, it looks as though the rim may have been damaged and/or worked on, possibly to remove traces of an old jewelry mount. I'd look elsewhere for that price.

Archived