CoinPeople.com

1909-s/ VDB Lincoln Penny

Jerry Lawson

Just purchased a 1909-s/vdb lincoln head cent and was going to resell coin. Was told it was counterfit. That the S mint mark had been added. I have looked at this coin from every angle with a jewelers loop and see nothing resembling a added S to this coin. My question is can a mint mark be added and be unnoticible??

Just purchased a 1909-s/vdb lincoln head cent and was going to resell coin. Was told it was counterfit. That the S mint mark had been added. I have looked at this coin from every angle with a jewelers loop and see nothing resembling a added S to this coin. My question is can a mint mark be added and be unnoticible??

My condolences if you did, in fact, buy a counterfit under the impression it was genuine. To address your question: Yes mintmarks can and are added. The 09-S VDB has been scrutinized because it is so popular - the fine points of the position and shape of the 's' are very well documented. It may be that the 's' on your coin is out of line with the known genuine characteristics and it is on that basis that it is believed to be a counterfit. You should also inspect the rim of the coin near the mintmark to see if there are any telltale signs of a hole that has been drilled to insert a punch tool and make a new mintmark.

Pictures would help here - but expert coin dealers or a reputable grading service is the way to go - ideally *before* you buy - but I know that may be little consolation now.

You should also inspect the rim of the coin near the mintmark to see if there are any telltale signs of a hole that has been drilled to insert a punch tool and make a new mintmark.

hmmm.... so is that one way they add a mintmark? wow.

Please post pics!

Thank you for the reply. The pictures were a big help to me. My coin is the #1 . It is identical in position and shape of the S mint mark. Has the same characteristics, shape , size position. I beleive thicoin to be the real thing. Thank you very much for the reply and help.

Archived