CoinPeople.com

Why $75 for a common $15 wire money piece?

DRP

I don't typically collect wire money, being far more interested in the milled coinage. So I don't know much about prices for it and assume yours are current.

"Why $75 for a common $15 wire money piece?"

I don't know.

Because it's Russian? :ninja:

Because the seller has never seen one before and thinks that means it must be a great rarity?

Because the seller is an optimist?

Because wire money prices are as nuts as the rest of the Russian coin market?

Because businesses with names like "Ernest's Tangible Investments" have significantly higher prices than those with names like "Ernie's Coins"?

Because it's ebay?

Beats me! ;)

EF? Give me a break.

That's got to be the most pathetic thing I've seen slabbed.

I'd probably call it VG or F, but don't collect this series and have only limited knowledge of it.

I think grading that stuff is tough. It's a hammered coin type which usually shows only part of the design. On such a coin, the degree of completeness of the design and quality of the strike is probably more important than any technical grade.

Others might disagree, but I think trying to use numerical grading for medieval coins is a bit silly. :ninja:

I'd probably call it VG or F, but don't collect this series and have only limited knowledge of it.

I think grading that stuff is tough. It's a hammered coin type which usually shows only part of the design. On such a coin, the degree of completeness of the design and quality of the strike is probably more important than any technical grade.

Others might disagree, but I think trying to use numerical grading for medieval coins is a bit silly. :ninja:

I agree with your grade of VG-F. The reverse legends are too blurry to be close to VF, and the horseman is only about a VG.

The whole slabbing medieval and ancients and assigning a numerical grade is absurd as it is completely ignorant of other factors (ie. strike) that often form a portion of the descriptive grade for a hammered piece.

The whole slabbing medieval and ancients and assigning a numerical grade is absurd as it is completely ignorant of other factors (ie. strike) that often form a portion of the descriptive grade for a hammered piece.

Ccq, are you a collector of wire money, or medieval or ancients collector? I collect Russian Imperial milled coinage (i.e. Peter I and later). I have a few examples of wire money just to show the type. The best one of the wire money is a copper kopeck of the type that led to the copper riots under Alexei Mikhailovich.

I collect ancient Roman and various modern coinage.

I don't actively collect Russian coinage, though I do a little type collection of mostly circualted Soviet minors and some Imperial pieces.

Archived