CoinPeople.com

Parties Casuelles 1737

My latest purchase. A uniface `trial strike' in lead of the reverse die for the 1737 `Parties Casuelles' jeton by the engraver Jean Duvivier.

Although logic dictates that there must be numerous different trial strikes of jetons out there, it's still the very first example i've ever come across and i'm a wee bit elated at having managed to get it for what I consider to be next to nothing. There's not much of a market I suppose....either that or everyone else was sleeping (I prefer the second possibility). :-)

The department called the `Parties Casuelles' was introduced during the time of Francis I in 1522 as a part of the Royal Administration with a specific remit to administer revenues obtained from `incidental and miscellaneous' taxes. This included revenues obtained from people `buying' titles and offices in government, various committees etcetera.....one of the many ways of financing the cost of governing France (and maintaining a fairly sumptuous lifestyle).

Jean Duvivier was official medalist to the King (Louis XV) and one of the greatest of the 18th century, engraving over 400 different pieces during his lifetime, many of them jetons.

The scene on this piece is of a harbour with a Man of War and three other sailing vessels. The legend reads `Hic Secura Quies' or `Here is quietness'.

920195.jpg

I was watching that auction. It came at a bad time for me, I've been buying some expensive California Midwinter expo pieces. I'm glad I just watched and didn't bid against you. Congratulations. Nice piece.

I was watching that auction. It came at a bad time for me, I've been buying some expensive California Midwinter expo pieces. I'm glad I just watched and didn't bid against you. Congratulations. Nice piece.

Thanks for your comments...and for not bidding on it. ;) The appearance on the market came at a bad time for me too. I've stretched my `coin' budget to the extreme this month. Even so, I couldn't resist that one, even if it means receiving a letter from the bank manager insisting that I at least try banking with him rather than the other way around...... :ninja:

Archived